FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im buying all new lifters for my 1.9 for about $127

i cant get the last one out to check if it needs to be replaced it comes up

but dose not want to come out how would i get it out of there ?

its on the 4th cyl on the intake side

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Well you could try to get a vice grip on it and pull it. If it doesn't come out then you might try twisting while pulling. If it still doesn't come out then it might have gotten mashed or something and you would need a professional to get it out or get a new head. Probably just get a new head if that's the case since it would be cheaper and more reliable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i second the vice grips. one trick to try for stubborn lifters is to do some quick "plunging" with it up and down in a SMALL back/forth action to loosen the oil and suction on the bottom of the lifter.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
try a magnet, wrapped in a small cloth so you don't wreck the surface... the cohesion of the oil can make it hard to remove by hand, and you don't want to put burrs on the edges with a pliers or vise grip...

A magnet worked great for me, I've got one on a shaft that bends, for like when you drop a nut down inside a hard to reach place.

--sarge

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
^^Yeah try Sarge's approach first. Then get rough with it if it keeps giving you problems.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its not hard to move it moves up and down freely but wont come out of

the hole all the way all other ones cam out by hand

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i tryd what you said and it still didnt come out i think its compleatly shot i

might still try something might be the rod that holds the ball in place

anybody have more info let me know

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
feel with your finger where the lifter goes in... is there a ridge or something in the lifter bore?

If it won't come out, either the lifter bore's messed up and you need to get some headwork done, or the lifter itself is messed up, and you need to replace it, and it may have fubared the bore anyway. you should be able to fit the edge of a screwdriver under the lip of the upper end of the lifter (if you can get it up far enough to expose it) and then pry it out.

you could try a suction cup thing on the top of the lifter maybe.

does the lifter come up at all, or is it completely stuck in its position?

--sarge

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the lifter out had to remove head and cam then reinstalled cam and head

Now i got a funny smell coming from exhaust like im burning coolant, but i put the cyl head on the right way use tq wrench and followed the book.

It runs better then it did befor i did this i might just buy a new head oh and i got water spiting from exhaust.

I also just replaced the o2 sensor had to splice it together because conector was melted don't know if that would have anything to do with the water spiting out exhaust.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
You didn't use a single element of punctuation in that verbal diarrhea above. I couldn't understand what you were trying to say. Please edit your post, using periods, comma and capitals where necessary so it's readable.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
didn't think it would be hard to read it that way sorry

well if someone can help or has info please help me out

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Did you ensure you cleaned all the old gasket material off the intake side of the head and the intake manifold before re-installing the intake manifold? It's possible, on the 1.9, that the intake manifold gasket is not sealing a coolant passageway, which then masquerades as a blow head gasket. Removing those old paper gaskets is tedious but must be done thoroughly of the new one will not seal properly.

Your O2 sensor connector melting has nothing to do with condensation in your exhaust. It probably melted because you're missing a heat shield. Did you re-install the one over the exhaust manifold? Condensation in the exhaust is not unusual in the fall when you first start up your engine.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya i made sure to clean off the old gaskets i used a foam sanding block and a scraper my uncle told me to do that.

i got new pacesetter headers they kind of looks like spi shorty header with the off road pipe.

I cut old o2 sensor off and spliced new one on to make wire longer because o2 sensor is at bottom of car now.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Think you could get a shot of the o2 on the Pacesetter? I have one of the older style Pacesetters and it wasn't located toward the bottom so I'm rather currious where it's at. Might be able to tell you why it's melting too. To the funny smell, who knows what exactly it is without further info. When the car is fully warmed up, does it emit white smoke at all? More info would be good if you can describe better what exactly it's doing.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i will take a pic of the headers when i get my new cyl head its

the o2 sensor is not melting the connector for the old one melted from touching the exhaust but stopped it in time so none of the wires were touching

i had to cut the wires at the end of the old o2 sensor so it could reach the hole to hook it up

my pacesetter header is a 2 piece i put pics on my cardomain site not that good need to take them off car for better look at the header

i will post new ones when i get my new cyl head

1 - 15 of 15 Posts