FEOA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my cars been sitting for the past 2 years, hasnt moved, no power steering, brake problems, amound other things. Right now I've fixed the majority of the problems but where I live you need an emmisions test to get it on the road.

I did a basic tuneup... plugs/wires/cap/rotor/airfilter/fuelfilter, fixed a major hole in flexpipe. Anyway after all this didnt seem to run very well, as you drive, rpms go up but didnt seem to pull at all like my old one.

So I went to etest it, failed miserable, co = above limit, hc=above limit, and nox= 3 times the limit(limit is 500, mine was 1500).

Anyways I shook the catalytic around and sounded kindof weird, took it off and it was fallen apart, so I replaced that. As well, I checked the timing it was at 6degrees, brought it to 10. Took it for a road test and there was plent of power to be had.

So went back to etest, co limit is .40 i had 0.02 so passed there
hc limit is 72 I got 92, still an approvment but failed.
Nox was 3500, over double from before replacing the cat.

So I've figured that a low co and high nox means lean condition, I think one of the injectors is ticking, ran some injector cleaner through, but I might take em out and have a look, as well going to check for vacum or intake leaks.

Is there anything anyone can think of to check as well?.. I'm close to giving up on this thing so it would be nice to get it going finally.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
An EGR valve that is stuck and not opening would result in higher NOx readings. To lower the hc reading, be sure to go through the test with clean motor oil - and retard the spark a bit. I used to get my older cars through the VA test by having the spark retarded, since they would fail if I had it set to the factory setting. After the emisssions test the ignition could be adjusted to where it gave you the best mpg or power.
It also helped to have the engine fully up to temperature, not just driving for 5 minutes to an inspection station and shutting it off.
What state or region do you live in?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea the egt doesnt have an egr valve, I did an oil change less than 50km ago, cant really drive the car much with a trip permit. I'm in Ontario Canada.

I thought about retarding the timing a bit, but I think theres something else making this happen. Another thing I found very weird and had forgot to mention is that when setting the timing with a friend, we turned the distributer as far as it can go and that brought it up to 10 degrees.

I know theres a mod where you can run 16 with high octane gas, so there has to be somthing wrong here, any ideas?..

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
i'd check for vacuum leaks. check all the hoses very thoroughly as they can be very hard to see sometimes. does the engine misfire at all? it might be a vacuum leak causing a lean misfire.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I checked for vacum leaks yesterday, all the hoses were good, it also does appear to idle well. There was however a problem, there is a solenoid that applies vacum to the VICS system below 5000rpm keeping the shutters closed and it isnt working, I checked by applying vacum manually at idle and the shutters closed, so I'm heading to a junkyard soon to pull one of those out.

I dont think that would cause it to run incredibally lean, maybe just remove some low end torque, but the problem with the timing really concerns me. It seems as though the egt gods are on vacation, the only times I really post are when I have conplicated issues I cant solve myself and am surprised at the help I've been getting, back to clubprotege I guess.

To be honest I dont understand why people like onegimp come on here and post just to show their intelligence without even adding to the diagnosis of the problem, regardless of whether or not denisond3 knew there was an egr valve, he was trying to help and I do appreciate that.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
sleeper7 said:
To be honest I dont understand why people like onegimp come on here and post just to show their intelligence without even adding to the diagnosis of the problem, regardless of whether or not denisond3 knew there was an egr valve, he was trying to help and I do appreciate that.
I was going to suggest the cat, but mentioned you replaced that already. That the thing that failed my 91gt really badly.Only other thing I could say is make sure you have timming set to factory specs and run like 87 octain gas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts