FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of putting my 1.9 back together and I am hung up on the alternator. I have the pivot bolt in place, and the belt itself is around all the pulleys. However, the issue revolves around the belt tensioner, I can't for the life of me figure this one out, and I know it has to be something simple. My dilemma is as follows: If the tensioner is in place you can't get the top alternator bolt in, and conversely, if the top alternator bolt is in place you can't get the nipple on the backside of the tensioner to its corresponding dimple in the block. This might be a dumb question but what am I missing or what am I doing wrong here?

·
Registered
15,419 Posts
If it's a Dayco belt, then it's too short:

Dayco 506053 - 53"
Gates K060532 - 53.875"
AC Delco 6K532 - 53.875"
Motorcraft JK6536- 53.75"

I had the same problem and then threw away my Dayco belt and got a Goodyear belt that's also 53.875"

If for some reason you have to have a Dayco belt, just get one that's slightly longer.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Wait a second!!

Bolt the tensioner down...bolt the alternator.....
then install the belt!
The tensioner uses a 3/8th ratchet to lever against the built in spring.

Best way is to thread the belt to all the pulleys except the tensioner then lever it back and slip it over the edge of the tensioner pully.

The belt is designed to be removed and installed without any of the components have anything unbolted.

I just went through changing my alternator and my belt was extremely difficult to install.
My first thought was that the new alt pulley was larger than the old one.
But with the info above about the slightly longer belts I will try that as I nicked the old belt while installing.

Bruce

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just removed/installed the alternator with a new belt. If you try to get the belt over one of the pulleys with a lip (like the alternator) it will be difficult. Try sliding it over the tensioner pulley last and it should go easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts