1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i'm currently looking for the tq values for the following:

valve cover
intake to head

i dont want to spend the money on a haynes manual unless i end up replacing the head gasket. right now i just want to replace the intake plenum one and tkae a look inside to see carbon buildup condition.

trying to save money right now so i can get the replacement parts for the autoseatbelts.

thanks

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Per the Hayne's manual:

1.9 L
Valve cover: 50-100 in-lbs
Intake Manifold: 12-15 ft-lbs

1.8 L
Valve cover: 43-78 in-lbs
Intake Manifold: 14-19 ft-lbs

I don't believe any of them are TTY, to you can re-use the bolts. on my 1.9L, I just did my valve stem seals and I needed to go to the higher end of the torque spec for the valve cover to get the new gasket to seal properly.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a bundle.

btw, am i the only one that finds it difficult to get a 1/4 dr inch lb tq wrench off the shelf? i couldnt find one local, had to end up getting one from an aircraft tool manufacturer.

tommorrow i'm gonna trade out that intake seal. i hope thats why i keep burning coolant. i checked the overflow bottle and radiator and found no trace of oil, but when i drained the oil, it had that chocolate milk color to it(ick!)

wish me luck!

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
I live in a dumpy little town with only three dumpy little auto parts stores. None of them carries 1/4" drive torque wrench equipment. The only torque wrenches you can get here are the crappy little ones where you dial to the desired setting. These are horrible wrenches in terms of staying within calibration, but I haven't screwed up anything too badly yet.

I think FIXITMATTMAN gave you the tip about the possibility of 1.9L intake gasket failures imitating head gasket failures. He also advised me that you can re-use the valve cover gasket if you do end up lifting the valve cover. I'd take that advice if I were you, provided the gasket is still in ok shape. The replacement valve cover gasket I bought cost a pretty penny and did not have a little raised lip on it to fit into the groove in the valve cover. Fortunately, that gasket doesn't doesn't really have to do a whole lot anyway.

Here's hoping it's your intake gasket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts