FEOA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my head off for replacement of the camshaft and some other stuff, and while it's off I figured it would be a good idea to replace the camshaft seal, since it's such a cheap part. So I went around prying at it, thinking it would just pop right out, but it seems to be held in there quite firmly. I kind of tore the rubber up in the process, and a small elastic metal ring fell out the back of it. My shop manual doesn't really cover the subject in-depth, it just tells you to use some kind of special tool to remove it. Does anybody know the trick to replacing this thing?

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
The spring comes out easily on those seals. Since the rubber is now torn, you'll have to replace it. I always use a wide headed flat screwdriver, and pry carefully, so I don't scar up the head, but it will come out..just keep working at it. The new one can be pressed in by hand (just keep it flush) although I suggest using a seal driver. I don't know if PTFE seals are made yet for that seal, but those are easier to install. They also lack the spring, and seem to be designed to fit snugly, with more contact area to seal better.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I feel kind of silly for asking about it now, it came out pretty easily after I hit it with a punch. However, underneath the seal is a small hole or oil passage that is a bit suspect. I first thought it was designed in there, but it's rough around the edges and leads down into the head. The more I look at it, the more it worries me:

Is that supposed to be there?

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
That hole is fine. I've not seen one before, but it could be just a drain hole. As long as your engine had good oil pressure before, and didn't leak like crazy around that seal on the outside, I'd say don't worry about that hole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts