FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am replacing the head on my 86 gt 1.9 ho, the head i recieved is an 83 hemi head 1.6, the head came with a cam in it but no lifters, so i was going to use my old cam and lifters ,well after removing the cams the 1.9 cam wont fit in the 1.6 head becuse of stepped cam bearings(didnt know that till after getting on this site or i obviously wouldnt have tried to swap them) anyway after laying the two cams side by side, my 1.9 cam lobes are a little bit more rounded than the 1.6 cam, after calling the place i bought the head from, the man there said that the 1.6 cam would work fine on my 86 gt with fuel injection, this is the first time i have messed with a four cylinder cam but i have messed with a bunch of small block fords and the cam difference of these two are like a roller lifter cam compared to a flat tappet cam, by this i mean my 1.9 cam lobes kind of look more rounded like a roller lifter cam compared to the sharper looking lobes of the 1.6 head. has anyone out there did this swap?, will it work fine , i would like to know before i ruin 100.00 dollars worth of head gaskets and head bolts! thanks in advance if anyone has any info they can fill me in on.

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
The 1.9 of that year uses roller lifters. The 1.6 uses flat bottom. Yes, the cam will work just fine, but you need new lifters to fit the cam, unless you modify the roller cam to fit the journals in the head. Still, you can't go wrong with an E3 head...they were the largest intake runners for the 1.6, and the exhaust ports are huge. Take a micrometer and measure those cam lobes, post it back here. Try to measure base circle, and then lobe...it requires measuring from a few different angles. That'll let us know what model cam you have.

If you want a hotter cam, you can find several for a 1.6 head....you're in luck for that reason.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well unexplodedcow the lifters that were on the 1.9 cam are flat tappet, i am in no way trying to prove you wrong by no means but yeah theses lifters are flat tappet , i have been driving this car for four years so it must have been the right set up on it, i dont know!

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
Look at the casting number on the 1.9 head. It should be on the intake side, and will have an "E" before the number. E represents the 1980's decade, and the number after will be the specific year. Someone could've replaced the head with a later model one, as it would bolt up just fine, and the only difference was the roller cam. The other idea is they just replaced the cam with a roller model, and swapped in roller lifters. Those are the only two options, but Ford didn't even have the rollers out until the revision in mid '88...so that cam is not stock for your year. Still, I vote for the 1.6 head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.