FEOA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated...... i am planning on doin the gtx swap but life with out a car is the WORST..... boy o boy. so wat i am gonna do is jus fix my cam and lifters if that is my problem...... My question is if anyone knows how to do it or knows of a hot to on the topic can u please lemme know.....also if available i need GOOD PICS that would show bad lifters good ones and good cam shaft and or bad one thanks guys if u can help if not im gonna have to go against my better judgement and take it to the shop and let somoene else works on it :cry:

·
Registered
750 Posts
not to steal your thread, but i was wondering whats invloved in swapping lifters, mine are bad. and i know this due to my lifter tick. And i have to change my gasket, so ill probally change the lifters then and there. And ive been told i have a SOHC in my 89 LX with the 1.9 TBI. if i could get some help thatd be great

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hmm....it might be that u are losing compression in one cylinder.

What i thought was lifters on my car turned out to be a swallowed vavle in the 3rd cylinder. And actually, when the car would start, it really didnt sound like nething was wrong until i revved the engine.

so if i were u, go to a local shop and have them look at it for u. they normally charge like 30 bucks for a mechanical check over.

dont ask for a diagnostic check because they charge like 70 bucks and electrial would not be causing your ticking.

good luck, if u need anything, just post.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I'm not sure about the 1.9L, but I'm pretty sure that the 1.8L lifters/HLA's are of similar design, so troubleshooting would be similar between them.

according to the shop manual (at least for the 1.8L) you should NOT be able to detect any play in the HLA's when compressing them between your thumb and forefinger.

I could definitely tell a difference between my 'bad' lifters and my 'good' lifters when i had my head off. In fact, between the two heads (the GTX and the GT) I was able to scavenge almost all good ones, I think there were 2 that were marginal that I had to use. It's like 51 bucks a piece to replace them, which gets expensive quick when there's 16 of them...

-sarge

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Try using some slick 50 or Lucus or even ATF if you want them to shut up

If you wanna replace them on a 1.9L or SPI its simple

Take the valve cover off
Remove all the rocker arms
Remove the retainers and the lifters are right there..Just pull them out.
Don't forget when you put new ones in to coat them with oil.

John

·
Registered
844 Posts
so ur tellin me to drop Tranny fluid into my motor to shut up my lifters??? doesnt sound like a good idea to me

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Ya ATF is an incredible liquid, not only does it quiet things down it also seals most leaks. I did that on my F150, before that I was loosing about a quart a week. Threw some ATF in and it retained all the oil. Oh and I was told by many mechanics that for the Mazda transmission that was in my truck, ATF is the best thing to put in it. Though I won't put ATF in the GT.

I noticed when I switched to Valvoline that I get a ticking noise, would that be because my engine previously used that mucking Castrol ? and the valvoline cleaned up my engine?
Sorry to steal thread.

Oh and don't worry we're not saying use only ATF when you change your oil, like a quart or half a quart.

·
Registered
844 Posts
yeah now that i think about it, my pops had a 94 explorer sport, and the tranny. vac. modulator went bad, so it was sucking tranny fluid into the engine thru the intake... every oilchange it was 5 qts oil and about 5 qts tranny.. so i guess it would be ok .. the trucks still runnin 40k later..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.