FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night i was going into work and i came apon a rail road crossing. It was on the peak of a hill and as soon as i hit it my radio cut off. I didn't really think to much of it because the head unit was a jensen and i figured the bump over the crossing jared it loose or something. Well my supervisor at work that day asked me if i had any wire connections and i told him i might. I went into my trunk and the light wasn't on back there. Still i didn't think anything of it and i went back inside. Well last night after work i came back and i tried to turn the dome light on.....nothin happend. Then everything came together that a fuse was blown. Well i checked them and the one that is labeld Room...that sticks out above the rest was blown. I replaced it and everything worked for like 5 seconds then that one blown. I just recently took my amp and subs out of my car so i thought one of the wires might have crosed back there. They were all fine. So now i'm guessing there is a short somewhere. Does anyone have any advice on this.

·
Registered
212 Posts
First, I would disconnect the power sorce to your radio. This will eliminate the radio completly this way. Even if you say the radio is turned off this way we know for sure if its the radio. Please state what year car, model and trans. Air cond?. Also what else is on the circuit? Pull the fuse and see what dos'nt work. Get plenty of fuses!

·
Registered
129 Posts
the fuse you said was the room fuse i believe, that is the fuse that is liked straight to the battery and not to the ignition. your radio sould still light up even if that fuse is blown.i had that problem than i upped it to a 30 amp instead since i was running an amp off of it. if your running bigger wire to the amp than you may need a bigger fuse. keep singling everything out to see what really is causing it, radio, amp, etc and find out what is blowing the fuse. i hope you figure it out

·
Registered
129 Posts
the fuse you said was the room fuse i believe, that is the fuse that is liked straight to the battery and not to the ignition. your radio sould still light up even if that fuse is blown.i had that problem than i upped it to a 30 amp instead since i was running an amp off of it. if your running bigger wire to the amp than you may need a bigger fuse. keep singling everything out to see what really is causing it, radio, amp, etc and find out what is blowing the fuse. i hope you figure it out

·
Registered
212 Posts
Back in 73 I was driving an Austin Healy Sprite. The fuse box consisted of only 2 fuses! So when it blew a fuse half the car's electric shut down. I was a 19 year old mechanic at the local Porsche-Audi dealer thinking how am I going to find the short with so many things attached to one fuse. My German boss said no problem. I'll stick a screwdriver in the fuseholder and you look for the smoke. Sure enough smoke came out of the shifter indicating a bad reverse switch on the transmission. The same boss burned up the wiring harness in the parts manager's Mini Cooper station wagon looking for a short. Burnt wiring has an nasty smell. Gluehead, the light blue Mini Cooper station wagon I'm talking about lives in the Oley area and gets driven regularly.

·
Registered
750 Posts
alright a few questions here???? How is your radio installed, did you splice into the wiring harness, or is it just an adapter plug. To convert to a jensen harness? next what wire to wire connections do you have (no connectors) I dont see the big problem with all your amp connections, see your supposed to run from the battery back with an inline fuse, then from that your supposed to run a remote lead to turn the amp on...enough of the basics, make sure NO power connections (things that have power running through the connections) touch our friend and enemy METAL. So just check all that and you might find your problem...also look for arc marks (burns).

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it seems that the culprit was the cd player it's self. I removed the cd player and undone all the conversions and it didn't blow the fuse. Well i hooked up the conversion wires and still didn't blow a fuse. I hooked the cd player back up and all seemed well....but i couldn't hear any sound. I tried to turn up the volume and then it burnt the fuse. Thanks for all the help everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.