FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few new pics of us Mazda guys Autocrossing at Norton Air Force Base April 6, 2003 and at CA Speedway May 18, 2003.

(Thanks to Albert Pernia and Jay Woodruf for the pics)
April 6, Norton AFB
This is me driving Davids car. Alittle inside wheel lift.

A nice finish line drift :roll:

May 18, CA Speedway
And here's David driving his own car :)

David is just so smooth, even in a still shot :D

Sweeper booty shot (yes, i hit that cone :eek: The other is suppose to be down

Tripping the lights for the first turn.

Richie about to start (psst, right here behind ya buddy)

Richie taking the first turn.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
hello!

where in cali are u at! there is a few of us 909 boys, and me and casey are oc boys! should come hang with us! we have a bbq this summer when my little bro comes out here, with his mp3, and iknow i like auto x and casey witha ztech wagon does to! give me a call or a email sometime!

714-267-8761
it be great to have some protege guys hanging with us also!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Damn, I wish our courses were that big. That looks like a very nice location for AutoXing. So how well did you place and how many cones did you hit. I know I've hit my fair share of them so far. I was supposed to go to an event in Ithaca, NY today but didn't have the funds. :( Anyway, just keep having fun out there.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, both Norton and CAspdwy are big lots, usually about ~70 secs. Out of those 6 runs, i hit 5 cones 8O

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< I'm located in HB

April 6
Region: CSCC Los Angeles
Class: STS
Results: (30 drivers)
David = 1st 64.793
Darryl = 11th 70.090(+1) 68.090 raw time
Richie = 23rd 75.457

May 18
Region: CSCC Los Angeles
Class: STS
Results: (41 drivers)
David = 3rd 65.008
Darryl = 8th 66.975
Richie = 21st 70.343

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I'm drooling over all that empty pavement :)

I have been collecting cones for several months and now I have a small collection, so every once in a while I'll ask a friend out and we will set up a couple turns in an abandonned parking lot (albeit a small lot) and go wild. Sucks, though, cause I understeer like made since I technically don't have a rear swaybar. Sounds flashy though cause I'm squeeling like mad when I plow every corner :)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
siragan said:
I'm drooling over all that empty pavement :)

I have been collecting cones for several months and now I have a small collection, so every once in a while I'll ask a friend out and we will set up a couple turns in an abandonned parking lot (albeit a small lot) and go wild. Sucks, though, cause I understeer like made since I technically don't have a rear swaybar. Sounds flashy though cause I'm squeeling like mad when I plow every corner :)
I used to collect cones too - for horse-related activities. I used to have 'orrible nightmares (pardon the pun) about all the cars crashing into unmarked pot-holes and 'little old lady' pedestrians tripping into road-works!! Oh Dear!! :oops:

Great pics though - I'd love to have a go at that!! :twisted:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Mazdaspeed, what tire pressures are you guys running front/rear when you're at the track? I'm new to the whole FWD racer thing, so I'm not exactly knowledgeable about what a truly balanced FWD feels like. That, and I have yet to find the all the limits of the car's grip since putting on the H&Rs.. my friends are getting nervous riding with me at what feels like 60%!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
you need shoe polish to figure that out. you don't want the tire to roll over. You put it at the edge of the tread on the side of the tire. You want just enough pressure to keep to from rolling over and scuffing the shoe polish. now that is way to much pressure to use daily. I think I used to run somewhere near 40-44PSI depending on the day etc.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Yeah, I got the pressure sorted out at the track last time.. right around 46 in front and 42 rear (mild understeer as I learn the tail-wagging behavior of a FWD wagon :wink: ). Since then I've added my H&Rs & Tokicos, and will soon have that 1" rear bar on there, so the rear end balance will be more like Mazdaspeed's next time I'm out. My problem is, I don't know what front to rear relationships need to be on FWDs with track suspensions... and figured I'd get a good idea of what direction to head in from Mazdaspeed. I realize that I'll need to modify them (start high, drop pressure as I go) at the track.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tire pressures are course, surface and car set-up dependant, so not one pressure will work at all events, but i'm sure you knew that much.

To give you a bit more to go on, My, in a nutshell, set-up:

H&R MX3 springs
ZX2 S/R Struts
front and rear strut bars
front and rear lower tie bars
stock front sway, with all poly bushings
ST rear sway with all poly bushings
(both the endlinks and frame mounts, front and rear)
Energy Suspension LCA and RTA Poly bushings, front and rear
15x7 35mm Wheels w/205/50/15 Azenis Tires

Before the ES bushings i ran a pretty consistent, 36psi F and 38psi R. After adding the ES bushings, i found the rear needed to be up around 40psi to get the backend working again, it pushed a bit much with the now stiffer front end. I'm still testing it and will know more by the end of the month.

The shoe polish is a great idea, many ppl use it, although it hasn't made it's way into my repetoire yet, i go more on feel and seat of the pants.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
About 10% higher in the rear for you.. I probably need to do the same. I think my fronts were so high before because I lacked the suspension to match the grip of the tires.. so there were lots of camber issues :x Thanks so much guys. Oh, what do you think of chalk instead of shoe polish?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.