FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After going up a hill I am getting a electric smell under hood, i have tried locating this for a week now and closest i can get is the igntion coil area. but nothing seems hot, melted or smoking. The coil does seem hot from radiated heat from thermo housing and block, but not so hot as to melt anything.

any clues?

· Registered
22 Posts
I had this for awhile a couple years back and I never did figure out what was burning; that is, until the circuit finally quit. Which circuit? The ventilator fan.

So I took the fan speed control off from beneath the dash, it had arced and zapped and flat-out quit. It's just a bunch of power resistors that, depending on which speed selection your fan speed knob is set at, limits the voltage going to the fan motor. I was mildly unimpressed by the low-tech solution, and very unimpressed when I found I couldn't get a new replacement. So I took the old one and soldered it back together, it has worked ever since (but I smelt it cooking once more since then -- I quickly turned off the fan for awhile, and it hasn't acted up since). Take a look underneath the passenger side of the dash, if I remember correctly that's where you'll find it. If you see any discoloration indicating burning, there's your culprit.

Just take it off, it seems to me it came off easily enough (power plug and one or two bolts) and have a close look in the light of day.

· Registered
717 Posts
The other thing I would check if you do figure out that it's coming from the coil pack area for sure is right below the coilpack itself- the thermostat housing. Mine seeped coolant very slowly and it smelled really weird because the coolant was slowly sizzling on the side of the engine and burning off. It was a really gross smell. On a good sunny day, before you drive the car, look and see if it's damp around the thermostat housing or any of the coolant connections around there. Don't look around if the engine is warm as that will cause any seeping coolant to quickly evaporate away.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
burnt smell

Yep, found that i had a leak around the thermo housing. my own fault.

had to replace it a week ago and knew I had a small leak that was coming down and running right onto block and behind manifold. had to let it go while I took care of moving a house for estate purposes. tightened bolts up on friday and by monday night have no smell.

keep fingers crossed. another member has helped me with looking into 2 other items to keep my eye on ( just in case).

thanks for your input!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.