FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6,057 Posts
i say to do a tune up, change the air filter, clan the MAF sensor, and replace the ECT and O2 sensors

· Registered
5,164 Posts
Yes, you definitely have an O2 on that year, I wonder how old it is. They can lose performance, there are plenty of bad fuels out there and "normal" driving habits are killer on O2 sensors. If original, it would probably help in MPG. How old is fuel filter, unlikely to cause horrible mpg, but a clogging fuel filter puts unneeded stress/ work to the pump. How long since last basic tune-up? Idle ok? Automatic/ overdrive operating? Throw us some more details and we will try to narrow it down.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOWETGT said:
Yes, you definitely have an O2 on that year, I wonder how old it is. They can lose performance, there are plenty of bad fuels out there and "normal" driving habits are killer on O2 sensors. If original, it would probably help in MPG. How old is fuel filter, unlikely to cause horrible mpg, but a clogging fuel filter puts unneeded stress/ work to the pump. How long since last basic tune-up? Idle ok? Automatic/ overdrive operating? Throw us some more details and we will try to narrow it down.
I changed almost everything , wires , plugs , coil , all filters . It idles a little rough . I also put in many doses of injector cleaner since i owned it . Just tonight i drove it and it meraculously perfomed perfectly . I need to change one or two other engine mounts because they have deteriated . I did change one . I cleaned the MAF . I also changed the rear struts , drums , shoes , wheel cylinders , pads , rotors , flex lines and so on . I believe the o2 sensor is original . the car has 231,000 Km .[/u][/url]

· Registered
6,057 Posts
if it idles rough u should change the IACV. check the fuel pressure. if it's over 45 psi, ur fuel pressure regulator needs to be replaced and would also cause u to run rich

· Registered
398 Posts
Whenever an engine starts having problem there are some basic things to be done before you start spending money on parts.

1) Compression check, because there is no point in buy parts for an engine that is not physically healthy to start with.

2) Check spark, if your electronic ignition won't jump a gap of 1/2", new plug will not help or at least not for long.

If both of the above are good, then and only then do you start determining what is actually bad and replace it. The shotgun method of throwing new parts at an engine is not only expensive but usually cost a hell of a lot more than troubleshooting the problem and replacing what is actually bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.