FEOA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´ve got a 1.8L mazda bp and when I drive it like a normal person it uses about a quart of oil per oil change, but I´m not a normal person, so I usually shift at 5500rpm or so, and when I´m really pushing the car hard- like WOT all the time, I can smell this gassy/oily burning smell. I don´t know if that´s cause I have an exhaust leak or I´m burning oil, but I don´t see any leaking around the valve cover or head gasket, so I´m not sure if I´m leaking it or burning it, but I´m definetly noticing that the level on my dipstick drops pretty quickly.

The previous owner said that it leaked from the valve cover gasket, but I don´t see any leaking, and she also said that the compression on all the cylinders was good.

Any ideas of what it could be? Should I rebuild my engine with 134K miles on it?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I talked with him about this on AIM. His engine is pretty gummed up from the first owner. he is going to give it a good cleaning and see where the leak is coming from. After that if he is still having trouble he is going to do a compression test.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I would say that after the cleanup, if you are still losing oil and cannot see it I would go ahead with a compression check on your own to be sure

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yeah, If for whatever reason you can´t see a leak after you degrease it, then run the compression. Just make sure that you clean everything. the underside of the car and all. Throw some cardboard under your car at and see if you have any drips. this can point you in the right direction to spend time/money. If you are burning that much oil, when you pull the plugs to do the compression test you will see it right away. btw does you car smoke when you wind it up real high?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
never smokes, no matter how hard I push it and how hot it runs, but it does smell like a burning smell when I push it real hard at WOT.

·
Registered
911 Posts
check ur valve seats/valves....i burn about 2 quarts every 1000 miles now.... i know my valve seats are worn out....just dont have time to rebuild the head.

·
Registered
64 Posts
1st. i apologize for dragging up a dying post but this is ironic...

I´ve got a 1.8L mazda bp and when I drive it like a normal person it uses about a quart of oil per oil change, but I´m not a normal person, so I usually shift at 5500rpm or so, and when I´m really pushing the car hard- like WOT all the time, I can smell this gassy/oily burning smell. I don´t know if that´s cause I have an exhaust leak or I´m burning oil, but I don´t see any leaking around the valve cover or head gasket, so I´m not sure if I´m leaking it or burning it, but I´m definetly noticing that the level on my dipstick drops pretty quickly.
Any ideas of what it could be? Should I rebuild my engine with 134K miles on it?
I have a 91 GT. the mazda bp 1.8l. My usual driving habbits have me shift arounf 5000rpm but i do like to get on it a lot. My car has 131k miles. I can also smell this oily burning smell when i get wot.

Anyway, recently my car starts burning 3/4 of a quart a week. This is in mid summer. right after I put my headers on the car. The headers leak exhaust right before the cat(badly) The oil consumption then got worse when i put the catback on 3 weeks ago. It also leaks exhaustat the flange attatched to the cat.(not so badly)
I think the leak is because the 2.25 header & catback meet the 1.75 stock cat pipes. I have gotten a 2.25 high flow cat but custom 2.25 pipes must be bent to atach it properly. Still its planed to be done next week and it hope helps.

I was seriously thinking about rebuilding the head myself while my car gets painted in a month or2. But how can i tell if the serious leaking is in the head or block(piston rings,seals,ect.)

I also have recently lost a lot of coolant. I can't tell if its leaking or burning though. It keeps raining here so its hard to tell if coolant is leaking or burning.
I was wondering how you fixed yours because this post never came to any kind of conclution. And i seem to have a similar problem. Or if anyone elso can shed light.

Thanks
DAve
91egt

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
sorry Im not helping but I have the same exact problem except.....My oil is fine its not using oil but I still smell it when i "speed" and my check coolant light just came on today and stayed on(for the past couple of days it came on then once the car was warmed up it went off) Now what I thought it was was....When I popped my hood three days after my oil change I looked and my oil cap was gone :? it was wedged between something and something else (sorry i dont know engines :? ) and there was oil on the top of the engine but me and pappa dukes check the oil and it was fine so I thought thats why Im smelling burning oil so i wiped down the engine a few times and got rid of most of the oil (it wast that bad) and I still smell it but not as strong....Im sorry to invade your post like this but when I read it it reminded me. I have a 95 1.9 auto

·
Registered
911 Posts
on_dnbe said:
1st. i apologize for dragging up a dying post but this is ironic...

ok, heres my 2 cents.

First up, 131k is not too bad of miles, but its in that range where there are gonna be a few things that are gonna/could happen.

1)timing belt change
2)head gasket leaks/blows.
3)tranny in range for give out.

Now, looking at your problem, with both the oil leak AND the coolant leak, if u cant find it, then its going somewhere, and chances are u are burning it. So its a high chance its your head gasket.

2nd point. u state its been raining alot. Well, anti freeze doesnt mix all that great with water unless u shake it up a bit. So tie some cardboard under ur bumper so its not sitting on the ground. And make sure to put some computer paper or something white so that way u can see if there are drips.

If u dont have a single drip...then its most likely the head gasket

I have a 91 GT. the mazda bp 1.8l. My usual driving habbits have me shift arounf 5000rpm but i do like to get on it a lot. My car has 131k miles. I can also smell this oily burning smell when i get wot.

Anyway, recently my car starts burning 3/4 of a quart a week. This is in mid summer. right after I put my headers on the car. The headers leak exhaust right before the cat(badly) The oil consumption then got worse when i put the catback on 3 weeks ago. It also leaks exhaustat the flange attatched to the cat.(not so badly)
I think the leak is because the 2.25 header & catback meet the 1.75 stock cat pipes. I have gotten a 2.25 high flow cat but custom 2.25 pipes must be bent to atach it properly. Still its planed to be done next week and it hope helps.

I was seriously thinking about rebuilding the head myself while my car gets painted in a month or2. But how can i tell if the serious leaking is in the head or block(piston rings,seals,ect.)

I also have recently lost a lot of coolant. I can't tell if its leaking or burning though. It keeps raining here so its hard to tell if coolant is leaking or burning.
I was wondering how you fixed yours because this post never came to any kind of conclution. And i seem to have a similar problem. Or if anyone elso can shed light.

Thanks
DAve
91egt

·
Registered
79 Posts
One way to tell if your head gasket is blown / bad is to see if there are bubbles on the oil dipstick. Bubbles in the oil only come from coolant leaks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
first check the valve cover they are prone to leaks

:) sup dude.
So long story short, the outside of the motor will show you where the leak is coming from but motors burn oil naturaly, if you've got some milage on your car, then it's bound to be leaking from anywhere- in which it's time to replace/repair gaskets/etc. anyway. :oops:
as far as a smell is concerned, when you *floor it* all the oil pressure pushes the oil out through the leak or leaks- subsiquently burning on the exhaust pipes. :!:
all aside, if no external leaks are present and the plugs apear *normal* it's possible to have a cracked head.. hope this helps... :)

i'm slowly putting my head together from a timing belt issue :D
so every related gaket is getting changed, my valve cover was leaking like a siv, unfortunately for me it dripped on the header pipe and don't know what to clean it with :toothy3:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts