FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
If the belt breaks while driving, the car just shuts down and leaves you sit. If you install a belt yourself and do it wrong, you could bend valves. If you pay someone to replace the belt and two days later they call you and tell you its an interferance motor and you got bent valves, 9 chances out of 10 they screwed it up. Not many shops take the blame for their mistakes. My 86 broke a belt every 80,000 miles. my 92lx has 115,000 on the original belt and water pump. When either fail, then Ill fix it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mine broke in 2nd gear coming out of a turn it raped the teeth off the belt.. The chances are slim that anything happened internally but you won’t know until you stick the new one on. Also change your spark plug while you’re at it. .

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
It's not a interference engine, so nothing will get damaged if the belt breaks. Even if you put the belt on wrong, it still won't bend any valves because there's no way they can hit the pistons.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Depending on how old the water pump is you might want to replace it. The water pump can take out a belt the same time it fails. I did'nt realize there's no way a valve can hit a piston on this engine. Thats good to know. Ive heard the sound of a belt put on wrong on a Mitsubishi-twin cam. It sounded like a zylophone for one second. Horrible sound. The engine turned over fine when the car came in with a broken belt, but after that the valves were toasted. Nasty marks on the pistons. The cams were "free" before the belt was put on. If there was 2 more inches of room to replace the timing belt and water pump I'd do it for preventitive maintaince, but for me its a bloody knuckle waiting to happen. Thats why I'm waiting for either to break first.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
my 92 GTs belt broke shifting into 5th gear downtown one day. car died, I coasted into the parking lot of my dads competitor. :lol:

I was told the engine was an interference engine and the head would have to be remachined. along with all the labor, new belt and time (equalling two f'in weeks) I spent $1000 for it all. Ripped...OFF...

2 weeks later i'm cookin oil bad...turns out the head replacement brought back the compression and the oil/compression rings couldn't handle it. 2 more weeks of downtime and another $1000 bucks later...I have my car back...only now I can't rev it, ever. :evil:

90k miles on the original belt. I still think the valves were fine, I mean he hadn't even taken the head off when he called to tell me I had an interference engine. I never went back to that shop...ever...again.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You should have done more than that. You should have gone there and told him you found out from Ford that it's NOT an interference engine and that they charged you for bent valves. Why would the head have to be remachined?(also known as brush the head). That only has to be done when your car overheats and the heat warps the head. Man, they got you bad. You swallowed their story hook, line and sinker. Sorry man. I feel your pain. I wish torture was allowed in these cases if it's done to poor people. :x That's why I do so much of the work myself painstakingly slow since I'm no mechanic. Yes, skinning my knuckles and other body parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.