FEOA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I either wash my car or it get´s rained on, the first time I go to brake they for some reason don´t catch. It´s not that it doesn´t have the pressure it´s just the pads won´t catch the rotors...I know this because the pedal doesn´t go to the floor. Anyway, I was wondering if this was normal? I know it´s not safe, so I don´t think it could be normal. Has anyone had any experience with this?

It happened to me when I left work one day after it rained...I went to stop at a stop sign and just kept rolling...I grabbed my ebrake and slid to a stop. 2nd time was tonight, I washed my car and about went out in the middle of traffic cause they didn´t catch again. :-Y :-W

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
holy shit man check your pads or something... thats freakin dangerous.

What kind of pads/rotors are you running? I´ve heard of some slippage, but what youre talking about is just totally rediculous. If your pedal isn´t going to the floor, then your fluids and pressure is good, as you said. The only thing I can think of is that your pads and rotors have just totally worn or are of a material that don´t agree well.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pads are a year old. I replaced them right after I bought the car. some stock brand...starts with an A something, and I got them at Autozone. They´ve worked great and only do this when they´re wet. the rotors look fine to me. if the pads are worn then I´d start to hear a really loud screaching sound which is that little pin they build on pads to warn you when you´re getting low...if you leave them on too long you´ll start to screw up your rotors. But it´s not doing this, and my brakes were working fine once I got on the road... I dunno. I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this.

·
Registered
141 Posts
"only do this when they´re wet", thats right most brakes will do that. Brakes work on friction. If you take that friction away with a medium such as water they will not grab. Mine do it also, when you wash your car take it out and warm up the brakes to get the water off them. And that is why you are to ONLY USE brake cleaner to clean your rotors when you work on your brakes.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would be suspicious of a tranny leak or something.I had a slow leak that was hardly noticeable till one day when it rained.I hit the brakes and only the front right grabbed and therefore the tire skidded.when I checked my brakes all was well but there was a light film on the left which I found to be tranny fluid.Also watch the tire gloss,CV joints,If you have greasable ball joints etc.Oh and does your abs kick on?It might be getting the controller or sensor wet.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I kind of have the exact opposite problem. Sometimes my brakes catch too much. When you take the car out after it has sat overnight and you use the brakes the first few times the pedal is REAL touchy, too much pressure and you´ll be much better aquainted with your seatbelt or the dash if your not wearing one (which is just plain dumb.) After a little while it goes away and everthing works fine. Is it just pressure built up in the system or something? All the rotors/pads are less that a year old and the rear calipers are too. Back in September or October I lost my brakes when one of the lines rusted through, thankfully I was in a parking lot. Well the lines were replaced and new fluid was added, but it has done this catching thing ever since then, but not before then. Any thoughts? Also, is there anyway to shorten the e-brake cable besides the nut on the handle and the nut and bracket near the caliper? My e-brake doesn´t work all that well, the nut in the car is as far as it can go and the other ones are broke/rusted. I really can´t afford new cables as they are like 50 bucks a peice! Thanx.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
all brakes are lame when they are too wet. best thing to do when its been raining and you just got in the car is to apply the brake very lightly as your leaving the parking lot or whatever. this will start to head them up and remove some of the excess water etc. I do this as a standerd practice on any vehicle. it doesn´t take but a few seconds to get a feel for how they are going to grip.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The brakes you have are made by Albany. I ran those for a while until I noticed the same problem you have. I switched to Performance Friction and never had a problem since. The Albany pads worked great for me on other cars but on my 94 gt they jsut plain sucked. Got hot too easy, no braking when wet, and they wore out fast.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%>[TR][TD]Quote:

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
20-02-2003 at 12:56, birddog wrote:
The brakes you have are made by Albany. I ran those for a while until I noticed the same problem you have. I switched to Performance Friction and never had a problem since. The Albany pads worked great for me on other cars but on my 94 gt they jsut plain sucked. Got hot too easy, no braking when wet, and they wore out fast.
[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

That´s right. thanks. Albany. I never had a problem with them until now. and when they´re cold I have the problem w/ them being too touchy sometimes. They work most of the time. :-]

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yep, mine were fine for a little bit then when they acted up I switched to the Performance Friction. Problem solved and better resistance to heat. Plus long life!

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh well. it´s no big deal. I got EBC Green stuff pads sittin in my room just waiting for the day that I take the car into the shop to get the suspension completely done up. I got my strut tower brace the other day. plain jane, but hopefully very effective. :-] :-]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts