FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so my front driver side brake squeaks.. but, ONLY when i'm in reverse, or in neutral rolling backwards down a hill. that's the only time it does it... anyone know what's wrong with it?

a mechanic told me that it was just rust, but drive it for a week, and it'll go away.. but that was like...3 months ago.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
all that holds the pads apart from the rotor are some thin little wire springs.. they are probably worn out, so when you go in reverse, your rotors grab the trailing edge of the pads and start squeaking.
it could be because your pads are worn down, sometimes there is a little metal thing that rubs/squeaks on the rotor when the pad is worn far enough.

--sarge

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SgtRauksauff said:
all that holds the pads apart from the rotor are some thin little wire springs.. they are probably worn out, so when you go in reverse, your rotors grab the trailing edge of the pads and start squeaking.
it could be because your pads are worn down, sometimes there is a little metal thing that rubs/squeaks on the rotor when the pad is worn far enough.

--sarge
ya i know about the indicator thing, but that would squeak all the time, not just in reverse, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
I like Sarge - he gives really good advice all the time and he's way nicer than I am. But I disagree with him here. If you're worn down that far, it will squeal all the time. So much so that you'd find it annoying enough that you'd actually replace the pads.

Your mechanic is incorrect though - it ain't rust. You can see the discs by looking at them through the rims. They CAN build up rust in a hurry without use, but the very thin oxide layer gets scrubbed off within a few applications of the brakes. I wouldn't characterize the sound of rusty discs as a squeal either.

I'd jack the front end up, remove the tire, spin the hub forwards and backwards while having a friend apply the brakes. You'll figure it out before long. But that's just me.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the car was generally just sitting for a few months before i bought it... it was in underground parking though.

thanks. i'll see what i can do to find out what's causing it.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh, and i dont think i made this very clear.... i'm not applying the brakes when it squeaks.. sorry if this changes things. i'm just rolling abckwards

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
My bad - you did state that; I misinterpreted because I'm virtually brain dead.

Still, jack it up, put it in neutral and try spinning the wheel forward and backward. Try with the wheel on and off. Sometimes a beer can really help too.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
i just threw the wear indicator thing in there as a possible known noisemaker, I doubt it's the case either (unless it got hit by a rock and bent or something).

chances are it's the little wire M or W clips worn out/broken. There is usually VERY little clearance between your pad and rotor, and if those wire springs are worn out (as they usually are) and the two metal rods that the pads are supposed to slide on (they usually rust up and get sticky really quickly) then the pad can pull back against the rotor slightly unevenly when going backwards. There is usually a sharp edge on the trailing edge of the pad, where it's been worn down by the rotor. when you go backwards, that sharp edge is now pulled against the rotor, causing a slight squeak, sort of the same principle as when you drag your fingernails on a chalkboard to make that cool sound.

If all you've ever changed is pads, and not the hardware (the springs and pins) you should do it. the kit's only ike 8 bucks, cheap insurance against sticky brakes. It gets worse if you live in areas where they salt the roads in the winter, too.

Or, you could have a wheel bearing at the beginning stages of going out on you.

--sarge

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SgtRauksauff said:
Or, you could have a wheel bearing at the beginning stages of going out on you.

--sarge
oh god. why'd ya have to go and throw that in there? :lol:

thanks for the info man

1 - 9 of 9 Posts