FEOA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody! 94 scort sport...replaced all the pads, caliper pins, bushings, and slide pins...greased up nice...two questions...got 2 little shims for each side of car with the new brake pads where do these go as the person who did the brakes last didnt put them on!? now when i apply the brakes going above 45 or so the steering wheel chatters quite a bit and the pedal chatters some...no squeaking or anything like that...HELP!

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
I associate chatter as happening when brakes are applied with some part of the caliper bracket not being bolted tight. Check the two larger bolts that hold the calipe r to the spindle. The metal shims go between the backside of the pads and either the piston face (for the inboard part) or the outer part of the caliper (for the outboard pad). If you dont use them you -might- have squeaking brakes. I prefer to apply a coating of an RTV gasket maker. I havent had any brake squeak.
You might want to have a close look at the clearance between the inner part of the wheel and any part of the caliper. With the stock wheels, parts of the caliper are less than 1/4" from the wheel - when there is no weight on the wheel.
Dont discount that the chatter may be caused by something else; a loose connection at the two large bolts holding the spindle and the bottom of the strut together, a strut top whose thrust bearing is damaged, the ball joint being loose where it bolts to the lower control arm, a strut whose shaft is able to move around in the 'shock' absorber casing. Even a rotor that is out of true becasue there is a chunk of rust keeping it from seating flat against the hub can cause chatter.
A bad tied rod end can probably do it too. Try jacking each front wheel so its off the ground, and see if you can wiggle it - either in the noon to 6 pm direction, or in the 9 to 3 direction. I have had lug nuts that worked loose, because i didnt properly tighten them. I got to making enough of a growling to get my attention.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts