FEOA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem getting this running. I turned my egt into a bpt, added injectors, manifold/turbo, intake manifold, ecu, all the usual stuff.

What happens is the car starts, sounds horrible like a chugging sound then dies, if I keep the idle up it will stay running. If I rev it past 2k the chugging sound goes away.

I repinned the ecu properly, put fmic with hks ssqv, I'm pretty confident theres no leaks, I double checked all the clamps and such. I know I'm getting spark and obviously fuel, I modified the fpr solenoid to get vacum.

Some ideas I have are maybe the vaf, I havnt tuned it yet because I'm doing this myself and cant keep it running to adjust it, but figure it should idle.

As well I've heard this problem could be cam timing, I changed the cams to gtx ones and had a hard time getting everything lined up to put the belt back on, took a few tries and seemed right but maybe I messed up and am off a tooth. Could this cause this sort of problem?...

As well when doing the cam swap I wasnt paying attention and removed everything from both sides of the motor(timing stuff+distributer), so I had to allign everything to get the distributer firing at the right time, but maybe I messed that up as well. If I did would that stop it from running?, I'll post pics as soon as I get home.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well no pics yet but I figured out the problem, it was the rx7 vaf, not sure if its because it needs tuning or maybe because its broken, I noticed it make a slapping sound, figured it was the flapper but it was hitting hard.

The car feels pretty good now, definatly an improvement over stock but I dont think its at its full potential, I have no guages yet but I took it for a good ride and pushed it pretty hard, took it to 7000 a few times.

As well theres a weird problem, when cruising along the car kindof jerks as you maintain the throttle, it only seems to happen when the rpm is above 2k, and i barely touch the throttle to hold the speed it jerks, but if I goto a higher gear it works fine. I'm using the 3 wire tps still, but its not my stock one, it came with the intake manifold, any ideas are appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
you need to get a wide band 02 sensor hooked up. for now go check out your plugs and look for signs of rich or lean. also check you roil and see if it is black or smells like gasoline.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think it has anything to do with the fuel mixture, im thinking maybe because I put a solid tranny mount upfront, im ordering a new one today ill see if that changes it. Its really annoying, makes me look like I cant drive standard if im in a parking lot.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock as in not turbo'd?

I could make it happen before the turbo if I didnt work the clutch well, but only in first gear, this is any gear.

I may have figured it out with someones help, he explained theres only vacum when the throttle is closed, and in my valve cover I have the pcv going from back of valve cover to intake manifold, but on the right I have a breather filter. He said that its probable sucking in too much air with the fumes when vacum kicks in, and I should try to run a hose from the side to somewhere between the turbo and vaf so at least the air going in is metered.

This seems like a good reason so I'll give it a try and post if I'm succesful.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
sleeper7 said:
I may have figured it out with someones help, he explained theres only vacum when the throttle is closed, and in my valve cover I have the pcv going from back of valve cover to intake manifold, but on the right I have a breather filter. He said that its probable sucking in too much air with the fumes when vacum kicks in, and I should try to run a hose from the side to somewhere between the turbo and vaf so at least the air going in is metered.

This seems like a good reason so I'll give it a try and post if I'm succesful.
and you are just going to waist your time.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
why is there a breather filter on the side of the valve cover?

if youre going to duplicate a BPT configuration you should duplicate it completely.. those valve cover breather filters are great if you have a 1970s small block that burns oil and spews the fumes out the rocker covers.

find the vacuum/pressure routing for the 323 GTX or Ford Laser and run your car like that. even if it isnt your issue... it will at least set it up properly and eliminate it as a problem.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes your right, I bought a complete setup and that was how he was running it, but I've been collecting a few parts so that I can run it the same as stock, I took off the breather and blocked the hole just for fun and it didnt change anything so not the issue, its really unfortunate it does this, a guy on club protege swears its because I swapped the throttle signal without putting on a 4wire tps, but i've been reasearching doing this for some time now and remember people switching them before the 4wire thing even became popular.

Hopefully when I do go with a 4 wire that wil solve the problem.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its hard to beleive your a mod, anyway wont be finding any help here might as well delete this post.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
lol onegimp, how dare you not be helpful. :lmao:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
to be honest it sounds like you have a leak between the VAF and turbo.

try taking off the air filter from the vaf and use something to hold the flapper part way open. then start your car and see if it idles. if it does, then you do infact have a leak somewhere

1 - 15 of 15 Posts