FEOA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to put a clutch disc in backward? If so what would it do? Anyone have trouble bleeding there clutch? Ive bled mine for the past week, like 2 hrs a night and i still get the same pressure.(About 1/2 what it should be) Im at my wits end with this car, about ready to give up.....
Any advice would be totally great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
clutch

Yea, the disk itself could be backwards, but is highly unlikely that you could bolt the presure plate to the flywheel with it that way, because the springs on the clutch would be touching the flywheel instead of the friction surface.

As for the bleeding issue, allow time for fluid to enter back into the line after the pedal is released. So it would be like
  1. Pump
  2. Release
  3. count to five
  4. pump

Also have someone watch the rubber line leading to the hardline on the clutch selinoid to make sure that it isn't expanding.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Most Definately

Most definately you can install your clutch back asswards. Had mine that way for 34k miles...What's scary is that I thought it was bad when I got the car, since it did the same thing...Seems the clutch that came in the car was backwards, along with the clutch I installed. I actually installed it right, but a bonehead friend "helped" me by turning it around and slapping my tranny back on for me when I went to find a tranny jack.....Um, you could also have a warped flywheel though, when you pull your stuff apart to fix your clutch, I definately recommend you buy a new flywheel, not have yours turned. Also make sure the parts store checks your flywheel after it comes, as it could have been at the bottom of a big pile and already be warped. Be sure to torque everything to spec, as it makes a difference. As to your bleeding question, unless there's air in the line when you bleed it (you can tell because it "coughs"; best I can explain it) it's caused by your clutch problem. Um, I had the same problem when my clutch was backwards, that's just a problem with how that stuff presses. I'd fix your setup fast as you can. I waited until it failed, due to lack of money, but over the 18 months I had it like that I lost: my brand new cv's I installed with the new clutch kit (which I also lost), my heater core, which subsequently leaked enough coolant on a short drive to give me a severe shortage, thereby partially blowing my headgasket. I now leak both oil into my coolant, and coolant into my cylinders, and the car is relatively weak compared to what it was. Also lost the front wheel bearings, warped my brand new brake rotors, and more than likely screwed up my rack and pinion. So, yeah. Fix that. It probably is in backasswards. Dunno if you can do this on other cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.