FEOA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay I´m fixing rust, and I just finished grinding down to bare metal and then putting on the "rust converter" stuff that I know wont work, but oh well.

Anyway, I bought some bondo spot putty and primer and base coat and I need to know the order that I need to do things in to make it work.

Is this right:
1.Grind to bare metal
2.Spray on rust converter stuff
3.Spot-putty and fill in any gaps
4.Sand spot-putty
5.Primer over spot putty
6.Wet-sand primer
7.Base coat

I also bought white primer and I have a black car. I was told that the light colored primer helps add "depth" to the black. Will this make the "fixed" area look different from the paint on the rest of the car (my GT is black)?

·
Registered
66 Posts
i would use regular bondo instead of spot putty seems to hold up a little better.and you wont need to wet sand the primer.as far as the way it will look when finished, if you paint a small spot you will see it,you should definitly paintthe whole panel your working on,that way you wont have a paint edge or an overspray look in the middle of a panel.if the rest of your paint is pretty decent you should be able to buff them out to match the shine of your new paint.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
If you use spray primer you will want and/or need to sand it... just to get any runs out and make it smooth for the paint. I had to sand the primer down a little bit because I kept getting runs when I repainted my grille.

·
Registered
66 Posts
yeah you do need to sand the primer (any kind of primer) but not wet sand you just ned to sand lightly with 220 grit then wipe down with a tack cloth before painting

·
Registered
111 Posts
u dont have to use the rust reat crap, just grind all rust away, then use regular pud over grinded area, sand till smoth, primer, sand, primer, sand till glossy then base!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I´m having trouble getting the base coat to be glossy like the stock paint. Do I need an enamel clearcoat, or can I use buffing compound?

Also, a few specks of the white primer landed on the hood and I wetsanded them off, but now I have very small scratches from the emery cloth... how do I get rid of the scratches?

·
Registered
111 Posts
id u a little rubbing compond by hand first to remove scratchs and c if thats helps the glossy alittle, if not try like 1200 or 1500 grit sand paper either of those should help! then maybe trow some wax on it!

·
Registered
899 Posts
your not trying to get the base coat glossy, you willneed to clear coat it. the stock paint has clear coat. you can try to polish the scratches out but you most like ly should clear coat it as well. a painting book from barns and knobles will help you alot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
First off if you dont use the "rust crap" there is a good chance of the rust coming back very soon.Ill run through it real quick, first grind rust till gone,then apply some rust "crap",then fill with a thin layer of short hair fiberglass(you do this first cuz bondo can hold and trap water which will rust again very quik,then block sand f.glass with 150 or 180 grit just rough it ,it doesnt have to be perfectly smooth but close,then apply a thin layer of bondo over that let set up then block sand again with180, try to get it as close as possible. you will end up with some fine scratches from the 180 anything more than fine scratches and you will need to redo the last step,then apply your final coat of bondo(thin layer just to fill those scratches and little imperfections),then block sandto a nice smooth finish with 220 grit sand paper.then if your happy with your work then you can primer it,sand it with 220 then use a tack cloth to remove dust(blowing it off wont cut it ).then you can paint .like i said your new paint will shine more than your old so if you can paint the whole panel instead of just a spot.then try buffing out the rest to match.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts