FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this summer i want to fix up the outside of my car since the paint is shot so why not. i have 2 dings that i want to get out and i would like to shave my door moldings. i have a good idea of how to go about this but not sure what products and steps are needed to do it. i know you have to sand it down to bare metal or do you. i´m not sure what to use to fill in the large area needed to fill in the door molding lines. i thought bondo was just for thin areas to fill, but whats good for large areas. and whats the steps that all you guys used to do this. hook me up thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dude, what were the steps you did to apply it, and where do you get it. do you bondo over top of it or just use that stuff. what steps did you take to sand it down. thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hi pplz !

How are you doin ? I hope you're all doing fine cauz the summer ain't over yet.....but it will end TOMMOROW morning as all of you who still go to school will get your lazy @$$ back in class hehe : )

Since my mecanic classes only begin in january, i still have some free time to work on my car....and i'd like to shave some moldings as my next project....to make it short, i'd like to shave my front and rear bumper as well as the rain gutters on each side of my scort... but then i'm not too sure about the exact steps i'd have to go through to achieve flawless succes :) so i'd like you to correct me if i'm wrong....

1. Should i just clean the painted surface with some acetone, in order to remove any contaminants or should i sand the surface down to bare metal /plastic?

2. Should i use some white bondo to shave the front/rear bumper or should i use the green bondo that has fiberglass in it, and that is a lot harder to work with ( like when it comes to sanding)......

3. What should I use to shave the large rain gutter area on my door panels? I guess i should use the green bondo that has fiberglass in it...but i'm not sure so if you have ever done this with another product...feel free to give me some tips...

4. When all the bondoing, sanding and cleaning with acetone will be done....should i use primer right away or should i apply another product before? and If so...what kind of product?

5. Then i'd have to paint these parts and finaly, spray a clear coat on the paint....but i don't know how long should i wait before applying different layers of primer , paint and clear coat....do you guys have any kind of experience in this? I have done some body work before on my car and on some of my friends car...but i'm always working as what i think is a good way to do it...but i can't really tell if it is ...

so if any of you knows how to do this kind of job....i'd really appreciate to learn from you :) Tanks guys for your knowledge and your experience ....We all appreciate it :)

Maxxx

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Ok so i guess you can trash this post cauz i just found an How to on how to shave handles...so i guess i'll start with this..sorry pplz...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts