FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FOUND THIS POST ON ANOTHER BOARD...THOUGHT SOME OF YOU MIGHT GET A KICK OUT OF IT....

I never seen a nearly stock engine blown this bad

A couple of weeks ago, I was cruisin with my friend on a Sunday in his RSX-S. His only mods are: intake, exhaust, and a Hondata Flash. Well, he decides to drop the hammer and show me what his car has. He started redlining every gear. He was at about 7k RPMs in 5th, and for whatever reason, he decides to downshift into 4th. The gear box on a RSX-S is real close together and it's a 6 speed. So, instead of shifting to 4th, he accidentally shifted into 2nd gear right around 7k RPMs. All of a sudden, we hear a "boom" and it started to stink real bad. Right after that, we heard the chunks of the block falling out from underneith the car and hitting the chassis. The smoke got so bad we couldn't see infront of us, so he slammed on the brakes and pulled to the shoulder. We jump out of the car to realize his motor was on fire. Needless to say, we put the fire out before the fire truck came, and got a friend to pull us back home.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
thats what happends when ya strap a motor cycle engine into a car with 4 wheels... damn shifted from 5th at 7k to second... damn ya think the rev limitor would of caught it and stoped it from doing that... Ive done it a couple of times in my scort (not at 7k though) and when my rev limitor did work it shut the car off..

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
sportscort93 said:
thats what happends when ya strap a motor cycle engine into a car with 4 wheels... damn shifted from 5th at 7k to second... damn ya think the rev limitor would of caught it and stoped it from doing that... Ive done it a couple of times in my scort (not at 7k though) and when my rev limitor did work it shut the car off..
A rev limiter can only cut fuel and ignition.. it can't keep some moron from missing a shift so bad the wheels drive the engine up to 20,000 rpm. That's a mechanical connection.. one the rev limiter has no control over.

The story is fishy.. I see the pictures.. but that doesn't mean anyone miss shifted from 5th to 2nd... it just means someone was driving like a moron (and probably didn't follow their break-in period either). The syncros would fight so badly over a shift into 2nd, that no driver would screw that up unless they were jamming the gears like the Hulk. Being a honda, the shifts are so incredibly smooth, that the shifter's balking when trying to throw it into 2nd would certainly set off some mental alarms.

7k rpms in 5th gear would be near the top speed of the RSX.. 6th gear is for cruising.. not enough torque in 6th to keep the car moving at 145mph. Why anyone would shift, is beyond me.

There was a kid in high school w/ me that got a Prelude Type-SH (one of the first ones I'd seen). He blew it up under warranty and had another within a month. Why do daddies keep buying their kids sports cars for their first vehicle???

I guess what I'm trying to say is: what a douchebag

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
beaver- i'm with you man.. something about this story is not right..

unless he had completely ripped his transaxle apart and forgot the put the synchro's back in, downshifting to 2nd gear doing well over 100 is nearly impossible.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
yeah the rev limiter will ONLY cut the fuel. if you downshift near redline you are in for a world of hurt. you will be lucky if all it does is stall the engine. down shifting two gears will likely blow the whole damn thing up. the only way to physically disconnect the engine from the tranny/wheels is with the clutch. once you let that go its all over with.

think about it. you pistons are slamming away almost 3 times per second so then like an idiot you throw it two gears down and let the clutch out.. now your pistons, rods etc are all forced through the drivetrain to go close to double that speed (depending on what gear). not a nice gradual increase either like normal acceleration this is going to be damn near instant.... not pretty

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I just noticed that he threw the number 4 rod and cracked the block on the number 2 piston. that was a pretty damn big boom then. Also there's a nice hole in the oil pan. What's that pic of the hole that appears to be upside down???
Poor RSX :cry: I drove a Nissan Sentra SER Spec V, and those gears are pretty tight, but if you're not used to the gearbox, don't shift it that fast. I had to check it before i let the clutch back out.

I just can't get over the fact that he is such a DOUCHEBAG!

...that just seemed to be the running theme here. :wink:

·
Registered
911 Posts
see...just cuz someone said it, dont mean it true....it looks like the guy blew the motor alright..but it looks more of like an oil pump problem. whn an oil pump goes out it can spin a bearing and break a piston rod....my frineds z24 the oil pump went out and shot the rod out the bottom of the car....

i agree with the synchro thing....now adays, downshifting is normally blocked..back in the ole days, they reallydid have to worry about down shifting..

the guy was just stupid.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
All I know is he blew a brand new 2.0 with 200 hp and a 6 sp manual to hell. I would junk my GT in a heartbeat for one of those cars. He's a lucky bastard who obviously has too much money and only deserves to drive a 1986 rusted out Cavalier the rest of his life. :wink:

·
Registered
274 Posts
The guy DID shift from 5th to 2nd ate extremely high rpm. There was a link on mx-3.com straight to the board and the guy admitted to it... I think I recalled reading that it threw three of the rods... all the pistons are gone... holes in everything, lol. Woudl suck, but BELIEVE it, it did happen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts