FEOA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Ford ZX2 - Automatic

I tried to replace my battery terminals (they were corroded) and couldn't remove the bus bar going to the little black box attached to the negative battery terminal.
While I was trying to remove it the wires came out. I stuffed them back in, and used some silicone caulk around the base of the wires to hold them in place.
The connection isn't the greatest, (I removed the black box and cleaned it the best I could, but it is severely corroded) and sometimes the car won't start unless I pop the hood and jiggle the wires going into the black box.

Is there any danger to bypassing the box and rigging the wires up directly to the terminal clamp?

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
No danger. Just make sure they all make good contact.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No, there isn't a problem with this. Personally, I took the black box, cut the battery clamp off, sanded it down and bolted a wire onto it that I put on the new battery clamp. That way I had the one main ground coming into the wire clamp and this new wire that I stuck on one of the wire clamp bolts. I can't stand a battery clamp with a rat's nests of wires coming off. I used a 10 AWG wire for the new connection. I think it's oversized, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I replaced my tin-foil factory terminals with some aftermarket, heavy-duty terminals, I just bolted the black box to the firewall (after sanding a small spot of course. It doesn't get in the way there and is a solid connection. Best spot in my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem. My '01 ZX2's negative terminal was horribly corroded. The entire box area was corroded to the point of no use. I was going to just wire it back into the negative, but noticed some sparking, so I tested it and both the black wires and blue wires were hot. So that's why I'm here.

Are they wired to the ground despite being hot, should they not be hot and there's another problem, or what?

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
Any wire attached to that black box goes to the negative terminal, period.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts