FEOA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing all these performance parts would help me out alot but is there a few things i should replace or check before I do any performace tuning to the car? I dont want my money to go to waiste... i was thinking about changing my water pump with one from a 90' GT, the Fuel Injectors and Timing Belt... Is there anything else I should do before i start?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The water pumps are the same,gt and lx.
The timing belts are the same, gt and lx.
Fuel injectors are different, way different. I doubt you'd get one installed right in a lx from a gt.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
How many miles do you have on the engine now? What's the overall condition at this point? How does the compression read?
Before you start adding a bunch of stuff, make sure you are at least getting the OEM performance first.
Do some research before you jump into this game. Read the stickies. You can't just throw on parts like larger injectors, even if they fit, and expect good performance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

80,000 miles that car sounds like its in good shape... its not loud or anything and it runs smooth. where can i go get it tested or can I do something myself?

·
Registered
567 Posts
You should definitely get a compression check done, easy to do yourself - if you can change spark plugs, you can check compression. That will give you a basic idea of what shape the engine is in. I'd start there, so you know you're not wasting money throwing parts at a worn machine.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
There is a slight difference between late model and a little earlier pumps, and that's the pulley shaft diameter. Later model ones have the same size that will fit a 2nd gen round-tooth pulley. Earlier ones have a smaller shaft that won't work. If you ever want to put a round-tooth belt on the car, use a late model water pump.

Timing belt is the same for all the models. It would require a bit of modding, but yes, LX injectors would fit, but it would be a pointless mod...stock GT injectors will do just fine for mild buildups.

I'd also look into a spark plug hole scope, so you can actually look in the cylinders and see how much (if any) buildup there is. Also, take the valve cover and oil pan off to check for sludge. I know..it's complicated to do at first, but it just gives you a good baseline for the future.

In my opinion, do a ground-up rebuild before throwing parts at it. Why? Because you'll know what's in the engine to begin with, what kind of wear it has, and can modify from there.

Also, Farcas...are those boobs under a wet tank in your avatar?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts