FEOA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys/gals,

My neighbor has a 2000 ZX2. She asked me to change the serpentine belt, air flter and fuel filter. I did this for her with no problems, except now the battery light is on and will not go out. The alternator seems to be charging and the car starts fine. The belt is tight and routed properly. The tensioner is spring loaded.

I drove it around for a while, let it idle with the lights and A/C on. No problems. Starts right up no problem. Does not appear to have a charging problem at all. The light will not go out.

Any ideas?

Thank

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
What is the battery voltage when the car is running? My dad drove his zx2 a week with a bad alternator with no problems. When he brought it in the shop said he must have had a really good battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not done a voltage test yet. She had the alternator replaced not too long ago. The battery light was not on before I changed the belt.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Would confirm the battery is receiving 13.6 volts at idle at least..14V would be better. If the replaced alternator was a rebuild, no guarantee that it hasn't already gone South.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I had that happen with a brand-new alternator. :eek:

It was charging to a nice, solid 14.1V, but the light was on. :?

Jiggling the connectors at the alternator fixed it. :)

HTH!

C ya,
Dutch

·
Super Moderator
6,051 Posts
Dutch said:
I had that happen with a brand-new alternator. :eek:

It was charging to a nice, solid 14.1V, but the light was on. :?

Jiggling the connectors at the alternator fixed it. :)

HTH!

C ya,
Dutch
did that same thing with my old 94 LX.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try these thing. It just seems weird the battery light wasn't on before I changed the belt. I didn't touch the alternator. The belt is nice and tight and the battery is not acting like it is discharging.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i would say its the brushes inside the alternator i had the same problem yesterday autozone told me i was the battery i replaced it 3 hours later the rmp was all over the place but could still drive it after that i pulled into a gas station turn the key off filled it up and it wouldn't start so my mom drove from pa to sc just to give me the parts and it started right up of course wit a charged battery it very easy to install pm me if you want directions

1 - 11 of 11 Posts