FEOA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It came on a week ago. I drove to an engagement and the car died upon arrival. I assumed it was the alternator. I replaced the alternator and the light stayed on! I payed a guy at the garage a few bucks to check the voltage and he says it's charging. I did some research here and read about one wire that controls the light. Thought that may have been the problem. I wiggled it around some and still the light remained on.

Two days ago the light went off on it's own! Still no sign of it, so everything seems okay. Not sure why it did this unless.....

Is it possible that the light stays on until the battery has reached it's full charge? It's the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have heard that it takes a couple of drive cycles for the computer to see that the problem is fixed. Basically you need to start your car a handful of times.

Did you have the old alternator tested?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine came on when my alternator went bad. After I put the new one on and started it up it didn't come back on. As long as it is off now you are fine. Does it light up for a sec when you start the car? If not the bulb might be blown.

·
Registered
461 Posts
thebeans said:
I have heard that it takes a couple of drive cycles for the computer to see that the problem is fixed. Basically you need to start your car a handful of times.

Did you have the old alternator tested?
The battery light is not the same as the SES light, if it on means the alternator is either not working or the regulator died.
Even worn brushes can cause the no charge condition.

A faulty regulator plug (contacts) can cause this condition on a good alternator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the old alternator tested when I bought the new one. It failed, meaning it was no good.

The light does come on when turning the ignition to "on" before engaging the starter motor.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
461 Posts
boxy said:
I had the old alternator tested when I bought the new one. It failed, meaning it was no good.

The light does come on when turning the ignition to "on" before engaging the starter motor.

Thanks for the replies!
After the engine it running its off, Right? Good

1 - 6 of 6 Posts