FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It flashed at me 2 weeks ago, now it's on constantly ('94 Tracer 1.9L). I charged the battery overnight to rule that out but the light is still on. Before I simply bolt on a new alternator, are there any suggestions that you have for other things to check first?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
If you get a chance, run by any Pep Boys, Advance Auto, etc, and ask for a free charging system check.

Otherwise.. inspect and/or clean any and all battery cables, alternator cables and grounding straps. Also, make sure the alternator belt isn't slipping.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Its happening to me too...Right after i changed my spark plugs...

i know that when my engine is cold..and im accelerating fast, i can hear a high pitch SQUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIHHHH sound...and then it stop whenever i lift the throttle...its not happening all the time..only once in a while..i also know that my alternator is hold..and it makes strangers noises during winter.....

so...would this high pitch sound be my strap slipping on my alternator?

I changed my belt sometime like 15 000 miles ago...so i dont think she's diyng on me already..well i hope!

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
There is a single gray connector on the front of the alternator, don't ask me the colour of the wire since I dont' know off hand, but it's the only harness with one wire on the alternator. Check this connection. Chances are it's not making good contact. This wire sends field voltage to the instrument cluster where a module senses the field winding voltage and when it drops below battery voltage throws the light on. If you have a poor connection here the battery light will come on.

Electronical, I know what you mean. Mine does that too when it gets cold out. Very odd how it only does it when cold, and it only does it for the first maybe minute I start the car. All other times it's fine. I only have VERY minimal amount of play in my bearings :?

Matt 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed it!

Just to recap, I took it to Advanced Auto where they tested the system & found my alternator was supposed to be kicking out somewhere around 75 amps...it was putting out 8. Time for a new alternator! Turns out, it was a supa' easy job: half a dozen 10mm bolts, 3 electrical connectors and the upper & lower mounting bolts...from putting on my coveralls to bringing the old core back to the store was 55 minutes (with me peeking into my Haynes manual just to be sure).

I would give the job a 3 out of 5 on the difficulty scale: a medium level shadetree mechanic could do this with hand tools!

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
It's a good thing it only took you 55 minutes to do, since you bought the replacement part at Advance Auto you'll probably get to do it again a few more times before you figure out that you should have gone to NAPA or the junkyard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.