FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, hope someone can steer me in the right direction. I bought a pyramid brand 1000 watt speaker system from jc whitney. It came with no instructions. I am using the stock radio in the car. I disconnected the rear speakers in the car, and lengthened the wires, then ran them back to the new speaker system. now the front door speakers are louder than the new speakers. I know I did something wrong, I just don't know what it is. I get good bass, but it is low in volume. they are ten inch speakers, five hundred watts each. how do I bump up the volume? do I need an amplifier for the radio? or do I somehow amplify the speakers? any help greatly appreiciated. thanks.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Oook...this sounds like a first attempt at wiring.

Is the amp itself hooked up? How many speakers are being used? What size are the speakers? What impedance are they? Did you wire in series or parallel? Is the stock head unit driving the rear speakers and grafted in 10" ones? The description is vague, and more info is needed before anyone can help. I also agree..JC Whitney wasn't the best choice. I've never heard the Pyramid amps. Basing on their price, they may not be good at all, or they might be adequate. What's your goal in sound? Do you have one? A budget?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well,well,well, it seems I made a big boo boo. bummer. I am probably in way over my head here. but, maybe with some help, I can salvage this project, this is a first attempt at wiring, by head unit I assume you mean the car radio itself, yes it is a stock unit that came out of a lincoln at the boneyard. there is no amp, planning to get one today, my biggest problem is no wiring diagram came with the unit. I took off the stock speaker wires from the stock speakers and lengthened them, then wired them to the new speakers. so they are wired into the factory wiring harness. the stock rear speakers have thus been bypassed are not being used at this point. but front door speakers are being used. I did this to see what I would get before buying anything else additional. but found out it was not enough. I need a cheap amp, like 75-100 bucks, and some kind of basic wiring chart for installation, I know some amps get hot, does this require separate dedicated wire straight to battery with inline fuse? description is two ten inch high power, 4 ohm sub woofers. 2" aluminum voice coil bandpass alignment. 1000 watts. blue neon lights. it is all mounted in a nice box with automotive carpet covering it. thats it. no other info came with it whatsoever. That is what is on the box.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks kunar, I just checked out that crutchfeild site, looks like I am well on my way to getting this done, after I get an amp that is. wish I had known about that site before I got the unit.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Aight holmes, here's my offer:

Depending on where you live I would be more than happy to give you any help with wiring you need.
1/ I have re-wired my whole stereo system, plus a custom harness.
2/ I have modified my dash, front doors, and deck for equipment.
3/ Now I'm working on a custom shallow box that mounts to the back of the rear seats, and a lighting system.

That and 3 yrs. of electronics classes helped alot.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oookaaay

There is no way I'm arguing with NEUMAN ;)
EVER!

He is, just straight up, better than me in all respects
No matter what I say about classes or whatever.

NEUMAN is just awesome! ;P

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I simply study electrical crap, the engineering of it, and do pro amp installation and repair, specializing more in tube amps, although I won't turn down a good transistor job.

·
Premium Member
8,141 Posts
NOSholley63 said:
Oookaaay

There is no way I'm arguing with NEUMAN ;)
EVER!

He is, just straight up, better than me in all respects
No matter what I say about classes or whatever.

NEUMAN is just awesome! ;P
i wouldnt go that far. alot of people are smarter then me. i just try to do things after thinking them over alot and researching so i will have less error to sucess ratio.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well, ya can't argue with gettin it done right the first time, can you?

The end result ain't bad either.

Oh, and NEUMAN, I never said you were the smartest person in the world with stereos.
All I said was that you are smarter than me and are totaly awesome, just to clarify.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Getting back on topic...your stock stereo head unit isn't powerful enough to drive those subs, plus it's sending the wrong frequencies to them. I doubt the subs have a build in crossover, so driving them with higher frequencies can, and eventually will destroy them. A sub amp is designed to output only low end frequencies...your head unit most likely isn't. That alone will cause issues. You're also using small gauge wire.

You should get an aftermarket head unit that has pre-amp outputs, an outboard amp, decent gauge wire to power the amp, and then speaker wire, too. Lots of stuff to replace...pretty much the whole system in my opinion. That'll give the best performance, and shouldn't cost much. As for the brand...try to stay away from Pyramid stuff. I've used their speakers in the past, some were pretty good, others were junk. I had a set of cones crack apart in cold weather. Another set had the magnet come unglued from the frame, and had to be realigned. Others yet have given no issues, and sound better than stuff twice the price. It's all a matter of taste. Wiring itself is pretty basic. If you're unfamiliar with it all, try looking up basic electronics books and study up, you'll learn pretty quickly about how things work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the offer nosholley, but I'll get it eventually, I need to learn this stuff anyway. well, I got a six hundred watt amp and an amp installation kit from walmart. the instructions look easy. also got some better speaker wire. the only thing that concerns me is the rms of the sub woofers, it does not say what it is even on the pyramid website. I want a good match to the amp. the crutchfield website says I can use the stock radio, and the install kit instructions say it has what I need to do so. so before spending anymore, I will see what it sounds like so far.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
You'd have to use the "high" input on the amp, as it's resisted down to work with the circuitry of the amp...I really doubt the head unit has pre-amp outs. I've yet to see any stock radio with that. 600 watts will work just fine with those Pyramids. Do you know what model the actual speakers are? Look on the back of the magnets, there will be a sticker. Pyramid rates their stuff high, usually, but also uses ungodly huge magnets....and they're not weak ones. A set of 6x9's I saw had 6" diameter magnets...they would pick up a 20 pound object. Anyway, find the model, then look it up online and you'll find the specs, which should lead you in the right direction.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, I'm almost there, got the main power wire routed thru the firewall and back to the amp, tapped into the blue power wire on the radio, but man was that factory speaker plug on the back of the radio a bitch. I see why you suggested a unit with rca plugs in it, that sure would be easier. anyhoo, the amp came with two five wire high level input plugs, I used one of them. I got the wires sorted out and everything hooked up to try a test (speaker wires not routed thru dash yet) I set the amp at crossover mode in lpf, and turned it on, aside from rattling the marbles around in my head, it was great bass. serious vibration. got one last problem to figure out, though. it's ALL bass. I have a total of eight speaker wires that plug to the radio. I used four of them from the head to the amp, then capped off the others. cause thats all I need for the subs. and subs are working. but did not use the other four wires so now I have no treble. no door speaks,no rear speaks, just subs. bypassed all. should I wire the doors,rears,or all of them back up to the factory plug and plug it back into the radio and run all four plus subs, or two plus subs?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I checked the how to section here on amp install. It refers to rca plugs, not how to wire standard ford radio speaker plugs. its too bad there don't seem to be any cheap easy fix for this problem other than buying a new radio with rca plugs already on it. the ford radio works good, is reliable, and it's a shame to take it out and trash can it. the scoshe install kit instructions I found at walmart refers to an adapter kit for this problem, but they don't sell it at my local walmart.

·
Premium Member
8,141 Posts
altbob said:
I checked the how to section here on amp install. It refers to rca plugs, not how to wire standard ford radio speaker plugs. its too bad there don't seem to be any cheap easy fix for this problem other than buying a new radio with rca plugs already on it. the ford radio works good, is reliable, and it's a shame to take it out and trash can it. the scoshe install kit instructions I found at walmart refers to an adapter kit for this problem, but they don't sell it at my local walmart.
whats cheap and easy to you? i have an entry level pioneer deck that has the ipod charger adn stuff but not the ipod controls built in with front and rear rca outs i would let go as a combo deal prewired with a factory adapter kit for 120+10 shipping. all you would do is plug in stuff and play. no hard wiring just straight forward tunes.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
148 Posts
There are two easy fixes that I know of, they may not be the best but they're easy.

1/ run the factory wire setup to the factory speakers and splice in wires for the amp.
-----This should feed the amp and speakers with the same feed but it will probably make the door and deck speakers quieter than h**l.

2/ You could try running the door speakers from the amp by adding more wires and a crossover.
-----This will run the same feed but you chance overpowering the factory speakers. A solution to that would be running all four speakers off the amp while using in-line resistors to increase impedance. Unfortunately that may burn out your amp.

Like I said, these are easy fixes that may not be correct or appropriate for your setup. All this would do is give you sound long enough to figure out a solution.
If you're unsure of my advice you're much better off running it by one of the veterans of the site. They have more experience than me anyway.

GOOD LUCK!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts