FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally get everything put back together, I even took the carpet to a car wash thing and sprayed the crap out of it to get the coolant out of there and everything. After work this afternoon I was sitting in the car letting it warm up. As I go to pull out of my parking space the car immediately starts to bog. I put the clutch in and it's now idling like shit. I drive a little bit and it accelerates like shit. I pull into a parking lot and get out to see what I could see. There's a buttload of smoke coming out the back. Accelerating at the throttle body produces an even larger buttload of smoke. I kick it and turn it off. I call Neuman, he's not home. I call my dad and after about 20 minutes on the phone with him I start the car back up. There is fuel spewing out of the tailpipe and onto the ground. My dad and I deduced that there's a 80% chance that the timing belt skipped a tooth. I have no idea about the other 20%. I checked the slack on the timing belt though and it seems really tight. Any ideas? I want to be pretty sure of what it is before I spend $50 on a timing belt only to find out that's not what it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,446 Posts
Are you sure every cylinder is firing? If a cylinder is completely missing, you should be able to hear the miss (check plugs and wires). This doesn't explain the buttload of smoke though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The buttload of smoke was white. I'm guessing it was fuel that was burning as it entered the exhaust because after I let it cool down and started it up there was no more buttload of smoke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,915 Posts
white smoke usually means coolant is burning... if it was fuel being burnt it'd be black and there wouldn't be tons of fuel coming out the exhaust.

Either an exhaust valve is floating or you have a cracked head. Have you checked your coolant level?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please don't say that :( If that's true then Jacob was lying when he said 60k miles on the engine when I bought it from him, and I really don't think he was lying. Further, the smoke didn't smell like coolant, it was an overwhelming gas smell, but that could have just been the gas flying out and me not smelling the coolant. Again though when I started it back up there wasn't much smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I did notice something wet on the passenger side driveshaft...I wonder what that could have been.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My dad suggested the injector thing too. Did it come on all of a sudden or was it gradual? How do injectors go bad?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
Well mine were new and one was bad. It happened while turboing the car. One of the injectors were faulty, but yeah your existing injectors would fail if they were to be cloged by a dirt particle or gummy nasty gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went out bright and early this morning to check the timing belt. Everything with it was peachy keen, the timing marks are lined up perfectly. I went to a local shop to see if they had any ideas and they said to check the plugs to see if they're fouling. I went back to the car and checked them out and plugged 2 and 4 were soaked, 1 and 3 looked decent. I took a sample of the crap coming out of the exhaust in to the shop because they didn't believe gas would make it all the way through with out vast quantities of it literally being pushed through. They were wrong and were all apologetic and immediately insisted I bring it in to them for one of their "drivability tests". Now as much as I hate having shops do work on my car, I would have jumped at the chance for them to just fix everything, but I'm dirt poor right now. I'm pretty much ruling out a clogged injector because both 2 and 4 were fuel soaked and I find it hard to believe both injectors would get messed up at the same exact time, though stranger things have happened. The only thing I can think of now is an electrical problem. Too much fuel flowing into the fuel rail? Does the ECU control that? Could the ECU have shorted out when the heater core blew and the coolant was leaking all over the inside of the car? What else controls fuel? Anyone have any idea what else could possibly cause this? Why does this shit always happen to me?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,675 Posts
If something got in the gas then it wouldn't be a big surprise that 2 injectors got clogged and stuck open at the same time.

The coolant leaking onto the ECU definitely would mess it up, but since it was fine for a while I would pretty much rule that out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You don't think it would affect all 4 injectors? Is there anything linking the 2 and 4 cylinder that might cause them to both get messed up? I'm on the verge of just selling it for what I can get for it. I love the escort, but this is too much :/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just had a good idea. Is there any way to check the voltage coming from ignition coil without electricuting myself in the process? And does anyone know about what the voltage should be coming from the coil/going to the coil? I figure if I can check that it might help me narrow down if it's an electrical problem before or after the coil. Maybe I could check the plug wire voltage too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,446 Posts
Just ground and check each plug for spark (in turn). If the voltage isn't sufficient, the spark can't jump the gap. If you have spark on each plug, the mixture will ignite - maybe not optimally, but it will ignite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ground and check them for spark? My boss suggested something like take the plug wire out and put wire through it and hold it just about the plug and see if it sparks or not, is that kinda what you're saying? Or should I physically take out the plug and set it on the frame with the plug wire attached and see if it sparks...that doesn't sound dangerous.... 8O
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top