FEOA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is my gt is parked on a hill in gear (Ebrake doesnt work) are car kind move then stop then moved then stops. also when the car is raised and if in car the wheels spin. could this be because of bad compression of the cylinders?

·
Super Moderator
10,295 Posts
If you are parked on a fairly steep hill, and the e-brake isnt working, it can still move downhill, and in jerky movements at first. For instance, if it were a moderate hill, leaving it in 4th gear, it would surely being to move downhill, turning the engine as it went. But being in 1st it might hold. But on a really steep slope, it will move downhill even in 1st. The compression will only hold the car for a moment -- because the compression will leak out around the rings, in maybe ten seconds or so; depending on how steep the hill is.
I dont advise doing it, but once had to carry a large rock to stuff behind a wheel, when driving an antique car whose e-brake was shot.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
idk i just bought the car and it doesnt work. i would fix it but i dont know where to start. help on that would be nice to.

and im going to check the compression sometime this weekend. it just doesnt make sense to me casue the car drives reallly good. anyone have this issue before?

·
Registered
352 Posts
it could be a few different things with the e-brake, the its probably just the cable being stretched. if you have a ratchet with an extension, try tightening the nut next to the handle.

i think its a 10 millimeter, just push aside the rubber dust cover and you can see the nut on the driver side, tighten it a couple cranks and see if that fixes it

·
Super Moderator
10,295 Posts
When the rain stops, Im going to pull the two handbrake cables out of my 92, to try and free them up by cleaning it in a solvent and lubing the inner cable. If that doesnt work Ill be buying new ones. This is on a car with over 200k miles on it, and being an auto tranny - the e-brake doesnt get used from one year to the next. I know the cables are sticking a little, and not fully releasing.
The e-brake cables on mine are removed mostly from the bottom. The worst part will be unscrewing the rusted bolts that support it.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
truth90 said:
it could be a few different things with the e-brake, the its probably just the cable being stretched. if you have a ratchet with an extension, try tightening the nut next to the handle.

i think its a 10 millimeter, just push aside the rubber dust cover and you can see the nut on the driver side, tighten it a couple cranks and see if that fixes it
No don't do that.... :roll:
Jack up the back end and have some one step on the brake peddle while you try to spin the tire. If you can turn it then the alen screw no one seems to know about isn't set right.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Onegimp said:
truth90 said:

No don't do that.... :roll:
Jack up the back end and have some one step on the brake peddle while you try to spin the tire. If you can turn it then the alen screw no one seems to know about isn't set right.
i tried forever to find that stupid allen screw, on my 91 all i had to do was tighten that nut next to the handle and it worked perfect.

my 93 gt i just got needs that allen screw adjusted but i cant find the damn thing for the life of me!! :evil:

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
It's hidden behind a 12mm, I think, bolt on the back of the caliper. It kind of looks out of place like, WTF is that for.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
and it onlt takes a few minutes to jack up the car the see if the brakes are even working before adjusting things you may not even have to touch.

·
Registered
352 Posts
ive tested it already

then took off the tire and tried to find the bolt/screw but im always afraid ill take something out that im not supposed to and spray brake fluid everywhere.

it needs pads in the back though so ill see if new pads fix the problem

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
truth90 said:
ive tested it already

then took off the tire and tried to find the bolt/screw but im always afraid ill take something out that im not supposed to and spray brake fluid everywhere.

it needs pads in the back though so ill see if new pads fix the problem
You still need to find the alen to compress the piston or it will not compress. It's a bolt next to the ebrake assembly on the caliper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts