FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banhammer available, no waiting!
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,
When I got home last night my car started to idle real rough. It was running fine all night before that. The car has a hard time idling when sitting there but when I put my foot on the gas she runs smooth. I changed out the plugs today (one had a split insulator where the spark is at) but the rest were okay. I also changed the wires, cap and button but to avail it still runs like shit. :evil: The Throttle Position Sensor was changed in Jan. 01' which is only has a little over 22,000 miles on it. I've checked all vac. lines too and everything seems to be in place. I leave out of town this coming weekend for Thunder on the Water so I'm cutting it short for time. Any ideas or suggestions besides what I stated? Thanks gang! :wink:

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
TitoElSpicco said:
pcv valve? either of the 2 hoses coming off of your intake hose right behind the airmeter? as long as it's running good while it's not idling, who cares :)
That's what I was going to suggest as well, I just changed my pcv valve and now my car doesn't idle rough anymore. Also check ALL your vacuum lines.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
a crappy idling is when you Rpms goes up and down slightly ? like...between 0,7 and 1,5 (x1000) rpms?

cauz mine do this some times...and i know that my pcv valve is a little bit crackled..but not entirely..it's only superficial ..

how does a good engine should idle?

·
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It idles between 900 and 1000 rpms depending if it's in gear and the a/c is engaged. But it acts like it's going to die on me....but when I'm driving around it purrs like a kitten. I'm thinking it could be my Idle Speed Control Motor. When my Throttle Position Sensor went out it wouldn't stay running idling or driving down the highway. I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow morning early to get the mechanic to put a computer on it. I have to get my car going by this weekend for dB Drag. It's a friend of mine's last dB Drag before he moves..so it's very important. I really appreciate all the advice and help guys..your the greatest. I will keep you posted on the outcome. :wink:

·
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Being cold has a little hard time starting and running...but it still idles like crap even after driving for thirty minutes.

·
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys,
The mechanic checked it out and the problem is the Ignition Control Module on the distributor. It's going to cost $150 for everything (parts and labor). They will have it ready for me by this weekend so I can make the dB Drag show. :D Thanks for all the information guys and they are noted for further troubleshooting. :wink:

·
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got my Scort back today...and it's running smooth now!! :wink: They said the ICM on my dist. was cracked and would just shutdown. They replaced that and it was still a little rough idiling. The mechanic (who drives a 92' Prelude) hooked me up by taking my EGR valve apart and cleaning it real good and then reinstalling it. That car idles smoother than it ever has in my life. He said the EGR wasn't closing all the way so it was creating the leak to make my car idle wierd. The car idles steady at 1000 rpm w/o being in drive and at 900 rpm when it's in drive. The total cost was 177.00 which my girlfriend so graciously paid for (thanks Marie). Now I hope everything will be ready for the dB Drag this weekend. :salute:

A reminder for you Scort owners with the same irradict idle.....check and clean/replace your EGR valve. All this time I didn't think of it being the cause. :oops: My next project for sure is the header install. :cheers:

·
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:lol: Well with my exhaust...I can still hear the engine pretty good. :wink: I will have some pictures of the dB Drag and hopefully some video. Somebody mentioned at one show they will have a digital vidoe camera...so I can hopefully get some video from them, I will keep everybody posted on that. :p I'm trying to break 150 this time for sure, maybe rewiring that bad boy down to 1 ohm can push me there. :? :) We will see! :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.