FEOA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.

I get this call this morning from the shop who had worked on my car on July 2nd, 2004. They state that they made an error on my bill and that I OWE them another $150.00 or so for labour charges. As some of you know, my car had the bearings done, speedo and back-up switch done.

The shop phones me almost a month later and demands MORE money? The dude said to give my credit card number over the phone and then my account will be cleared with them. Duh?

First the shop damages the back-up switch 'cause they could not get fluid into the tranny (they used the switch hole as the fill hole!). They initially did NOT admit to this, but later told me that they damaged the switch after I pressed them on the matter (armed with my Haynes manual!).

Second, they did not install the speedo sensor properly and my car ended up leaking tranny fluid all over the place. Turns out that my sensor was seized in the tranny and rather than trying to remove it, they used the back-up switch.

I agreed to pay for the sensor and some of the labour, got the bill and paid it on July 2nd. Now they say they made an error and need more money from me.

What do you people think?

:(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I too was completely taken aback by the request for more money. The manager said: "If you would just give me your credit number we can do this right now."

WTF?

I told him to mail this new invoice to me for me to read. Gathering paperwork on this business as we speak.

Makes me want to learn how to manage my car even more so NOW!!!

As far as "burning" is concerned, what are you thinking?

·
Registered
103 Posts
shit whatever you do dont give them ur credit card number cuz they might just make a unauthorized charge to ya account to pay that fee. if u gonna give em some money do it money order or something , i wouldnt do it at all, go to another place from now on lol

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
If I were in your shoes, get everything in writing so you can take it to court. I can't stress this enough. Get it in writing, with a signature and a date. If I were in your shoes, I just wouldn't answer the phone anymore. I actually don't even have a phone (hahaha). If they can't call you to contact you, then they can't charge your card. If they feel the right to charge you card without your consent, then they'll get into huge trouble. Just hang up on them if they call you again, and chances are they'll forget about it.
Also, you'll never be able to go back there again. But that's okay. It takes an experience like this to make stupid people like you and me to realize what a sham autoshops are.

I remember when I brought my old 91GT (this was a couple years ago when I was completely clueless) into a shop and asked them to replace the O2 sensor with a new one that I gave them, because I didn't have a deep enough socket and the right tool to get it out. And here's what they did:

They took out the old O2 sensor
Then they cross-threaded and new o2 sensor that I just bought 1 week prior
Then while doing that, they hairline cracked the exhaust manifold
And while they were at it, they replaced a headlight bulb that I specifically told them not to replace.
Then they burned a hole in my intake tube which they tried to cover up.

So I ended up paying 115 bucks for a job that should have taken 5 minutes to finish and should have been nearly free.

I haven't brought my car to a shop since. I'd rather ride the bus than take my car to a shop. Seriously.

Another story: 5 years ago (when I was even more clueless) when my mom brought her taurus into a shop and they wanted to replace the front swaybar endlinks, so they cut the endlinks with an oxy-acetyl torch, and they ended up cutting off the ends of the swaybar. They ended up charging her 300 bucks for a new swaybar. Of course she didn't know any better, so she paid it. And I coulda used that money for crack. I just found out about that like a week ago and felt like going down there and ass-raping every goddamn ******* foodstamp flag-waving welfare fa*got. That was such a shi*ty thing to do. They'll take advantage of you. And I vowed to never EVER let somebody with an 8th grade education take advantage of me. Ever.

If you're bringing your car in to get something replaced, have them give you the old part. Half the time, they won't even replace something. I've heard tons of stories about people going in for oil changes or something and they never even do it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
well well well.. now here is something i know pretty well about.....

story 1: clutch went out, found a cheap shop(big mistake, really wasn't cheap), replaced my clutch(or so i hope)and other necessary parts(pressure plate & throw bearings).... ok they took way longer then expected... and when when i picked up my car... chekc engine light came on.. called them and came back the next morning, apparently they didnt plug the O2 sensor back in... morons.. but ok legit..... for soem strange reason... my right turn signal up front.... came out.... why thye touched my signals i do not know.... come to find out later they left my starter hanging by one bolt..instead of 3.... pepboys replaced it.... i went to court for the money i had to pay for the new starter and labor(if you go to court and u have any written forms.. ur prolly gonna win, when i went there was 4 cases including mine about car/mechanic work.. all of us won, cuz they know bastards fuck something else in our cars so that they can get more money.).....

story 2: after pepboys helped me win in court.... they change my timing belt/water pump.... the serpentine belt is too loose and now they will not replace it, unless i pay for it all over again......... thing is soemthing about my tensioner is "broken" only thing i see wrong is the top of it there is a broken off piece, but that has been like that for yrs.... so i dunno what i should do

bets i cna tell you to do is prolly take their asses to court... cuz apparently they fucked ur car up... and now thye want more money for THEIR mistakes..screw that!

GOOD LUCK.. i'm in the process of trying to find a house with a garage so i cna start collecting tools and do this stuff on my own i can't trust anyone with my car anymore... its sad!... well really i'd lieka bf who does it.. that way i'm not staring at a haynes manual clueless...LoL

Laci

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree, report them to the BBB. Also, when you settle a bill for services, I really don't think someone can all of the sudden come up with something they forgot to charge you for. Once they presented you with a bill for service and you paid the balance, thats it. Mistakes have consequences and its their mistake, their loss however, from what it sounds like, you may not be the only customer they're shaking down. My guess is their shitty service has caused their business to decline and they're in financial trouble. Its easy enough to fraud someone when you can chalk it up to an accounting mistake if you're caught. Doctors do it all the time. They circumvent the law..well actually they break it and when they're caught, they yell, "oops, clerical error" when they should be being led away in cuffs.

Reort them to the BBB and be brave enough to go ahead and accuse them of this. Once you do that, they have to deal with the BBB and maybe your state attorney general as well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Report them... I goes against them and if too many of them show up.... well... can get them in trouble down the road.

I work for one of the best autobody shops in my area, and calling you up later is a no no. Working in this field I get to see a LOT of bad prior repairs. That is the reason I fix cars (I did not trust anyone to work on my cars) so I went to school and now I do it as a job. I just wanted to say that not all shops are bad or out to get you, but a lot do. It is best to go to a recommended shop and to ask for your parts back or to at least inspect them, and make sure you have an estament in hand and that they do not have premission to go ahead with "extra" repairs with out contacting you first (if they do... then that was not ok'ed and can be free if you press it)

Grav1ty

·
Registered
124 Posts
When I had my serpetine belt replaced and my udp installed it costed me 34 bucks and I got both the used parts back. Me and this LOCAL mechanic know each other been doing business w/ him for a while. Before any makes fun of me about having someone install my udp I just dont have the time, so I drove my mothers escape to work :twisted:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
just keep your original recipt. You do have it yet right? did you pay with cash or some form of check, credit card etc? I'd just tell him you paid your bill... again assuming you still have it and that you aren't paying any more for it. Especially not a month later. If he feels like taking you to court you should win fairly easily. Other than that tell him your not paying and ignore it from there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Could be a Scam!

Be Careful,

Are you sure it was actually the shop calling you?

Someone could have gone through your trash, and found your old bank statement or credit card statement. They would then see the name of the shop where you had the work done. They could look up your phone number and call, posing as a rep from the shop. You give them your credit card number over the phone and it's all over. Identity theft.

Word of advice: Never give credit card numbers over the phone, EVER. I'd be interested in seeing if you ever get a "written copy" of the new invoice.

Even if it is legit, don't pay a cent. I'm pretty sure that, by law, shops can't charge you for work you didn't agree to. One time I made a Firestone put old parts back on my car because they did the work without my permission. Saved myself $300 by paying attention.

Don't pay anything you didn't already agree to before the work was done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts