FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and found nothing like this. I've been pulling two engines to put in one car. PITA from the beginning. Well got both engines out and tranny I need off of the motor I don't need.

I am keeping the manual and junking the auto, for now.

The manual tranny has a the end of an axle stuck in the tranny. Will not come out.

This is what i've got to work with. We've tried just about everything. Beating it, lubing it, pulling on it, everything. It will not come out of the tranny. Any ideas on getting it out?

· Registered
2,327 Posts
if i were you' if thats the manual trans take the shift fork that the shift rod attatches to and move it in and out of gears. most likely the differential is engaged and is holding it in place. wiggle it around thru gears and get a friend to pry on the cv at the same time. usually jars it out of the teeth in the diff.

· Super Moderator
10,547 Posts
Are you able to rotate that inner cv joint item? If so it could be just stuck in the splines from age. There are two ways I would attack removing it. First would be to put a steel rod through the differential from the other side, and hammer on that to shove the inner cv joint piece out. If that isnt workable, I would put a support under that joint casting (whats left of the axle), so it is pushing up against the bushing it rides in. Then I would use a cold chisel & hammer to jam down between the transmission case and the back side of the joint casting; the 'prying motion' of the chisel overcoming the "C" spring that keeps the item in. . I think they get easier to remove if you are exerting the needed force (which is big) with the axle sort of 'lined-up' with the centerline of the axle and its splines.

· Registered
7,796 Posts
Haynes manual warned about not removing both axles simultaneously.
Says there are some vehicles where that may allow a gear to fall down
inside the transmission. Based on that recommendation I'd always keep at
least one axle in the trans at all times.

Re getting the thing out, only way we could was to use a fork and air-
hammer.

· Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so I've got the engine in. I'm having a small issue though. The axles are all the way inside the tranny, and if you spin one side the other side spins. My dad thinks that the engine should turn over with the car off the ground and turning the wheels with it in gear. It's not doing that but I was thinking it would do exactly what it's doing. Basically he thinks there is a problem and I don't . I think if the axles are all the way in the tranny they should be fine. The problem is we want to make sure the thing is right before putting all together. I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE THE B!TCH BACK OUT.

· Registered
7,796 Posts
hehehe. If it's a manual that's not the case. The differential just sends all applied energy out to the other wheel. Wonder whether simultaneously turning both wheels in the same direction might have the effect he's looking for though ? Would think so. But I'd think it would be very hard to turn the engine via the wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.