FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey when im in drive it feels like the idle is set way to high it wants to go.. But the idle is perfect... and when i hit the gas it sounds like a loose guard.... like a lite metal rattle... and the tranny shifts real hard sometimes.... with a loud clunk.... ive done everything i can to fix it but im not a auto tranny mechanic.. i changed the screen and fluid.... oh and once in a great while under high torque... like when im hammering on it going up a large hill right as it shifts it sounds like it goes in neutral.... then goes right back in gear...............

Any Help Will Be Great..............
95 Mercury Tracer 1.9 Auto...

· Registered
5,221 Posts
Sticky band or weak shift solenoid? I'm not a tranny expert either.

Trany work can be expensive so consider you options. I would reccommend taking your car to a REPUTABLE transmission shop. I've seen a lot of posts of people taking it to one of those "other shops" you often hear about and getting ripped real bad by them. Make sure you know who you are dealing with.

Another option, depending on how mechanically inclined you are is to get a good used transmission and install it yourself. I've heard this can be done in a weekend (never done it myself though). You can simply swap in another auto, or with a few extra parts swap in a manual. Simply putting in another auto would be the easiest thing to do.

Good luck :wink:

Matt 8)

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i was hoping maybe someone had a "quick fix".. The end of October im swaping the auto for a 5 speed.... i bought a whole parts car for 200... so i have the clutch, flywheel, shifter and linkage, and trans.....

· Registered
15,186 Posts
The rattle is most likely the heat shield on your exhaust lines. There is a pair around your catalytic converter and another pair just past it. They will eventually fall off. I see them all over the roads when I go biking. All cars have them. The fix is to remove or band with a large steinless steel pipe clamp. (I used a 7" diameter one from Home Depot).

The transmission hard shift is quite possibly due to internal seals leaking. Try the brake fluid trick.

The high idol can be caused by a number of things, but the most likely cause is a leaking vacuum hose or a leaking vacuum device. Check all of them.

Yes, you did describe 3 very common car problems, none of which are related.

· Registered
312 Posts
I agree with you zzyzzx, the ratteling sounds like the heat shield on the cataletic converter. I just took the damn thing off. But a quick fix for now would be to go get a bottle of lucas trannsmission stabilizer and add it to your fluid. If you do this just remember to take a quart out of the fluid already in it. Lucas is a miracle worker. I use the oil and tranny stabilizer and the fuel treatment also. It all works good. Just an idea.

· Registered
48 Posts
The high idle is most likely a vacuum leak or a failing EGR system component (like the valve or the solenoid).

The Rattle is definately the heat shield on the Catalytic Converter. My mechanic took a wire hanger and tied it around to keep it from rattling.

The hard shifting is normal with older age. It can be due to the clutch bands wearing out. However, you really should get it looked at. Go to www.atra.com to find a reputable tranny shop. I have one nearby and they are excellent. I just had a rebuild done and it cost about 1500. Definately have it checked BEFORE any problems, though. It will cost you less in the short run, believe me.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not idling high, what i meant was like the tranny still wants to go even when im stopped... Oh and it is slipping when it shifts... my tb was only opening 1/2 way so i adjusted the kickdown cable now the TB opens all the way... way more power... So u guys thing the brake fluid thing will work? Oh and the heatshields were removed ALONG time ago..........
Thanks for the help.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.