FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find someone who works at a Ford dealership specifically in the Tune-Up department!!!

Here's my question...
My shop uses the Ford WDS Diagnostic Tool to update PCM code for OBDII computers. Now, when you goto upload the code to your PCM, WDS automatically connects to the Ford server and receives the LATEST code available. What I'm trying to do is find older code for my 98 ZX2 (YWX0 Code) and reprogram the PCM.
Anyone have any idea how to 1) Get older code from Ford or elsewhere and 2) Transmit it to the car's PCM using WDS?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I dont think you can get old codes to upload with WDS. The only way i think you can upload an older code is to find a car with the old code and i think you can have WDS inhale the code then you might be able to exhale the old code from the other car into yours, i dont kniw if that will work ive never tried to do that before. Just a question, why would you want an old code?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Newer codes provided by Ford improve fuel economy and emission output, but they lower performance like a whore! I don't like the way the newer codes lean out the car and lower the fuel curves. I'm searching for an older code (YWX0) that came with only a few ZX2's because it has the best fuel curve and provided the best performance output.

·
Registered
820 Posts
There is one only way to do this.You would have to "BLANK OUT" the PCM and then go thru "AS BUILT DATA" with WDS.Its the only way tho get back to the original PCM specs.AND YOU BETTER KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING,OTHERWISE YOUR CAR WILL BE DEAD. Why don't you just reset KAM(keep alive memory) and drive the car as hard as you can for a full OBD cycle.It wont change the original parameters, but it will adapt somewhat to the way your driving the vehicle.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup that sounds about right. You fake the wds into thinking it's a blank
pcm then you reprogram it. The problem is you still end up programming
it with the latest calibration.

·
Registered
820 Posts
We are not fooling WDS. To get as built data,pcm has to be blank.Have you ever updated a PCM and as your doing so the WDS craps out?(ie;internal battery died,cable disconnected while beggining download,ign shut off,etc?)When this happens, we go to the PCM,Read the tear tag,feed it to WDS and upload the AS BUILT DATA.(There is a reason its called that).After we are done with that ,then we proceed to update the PCM to the level were it is today.Keep noted that I have not perfomed this op in over 2 years.(I learned my lesson,I leave WDS connected to the base when I perform updates or module replacements)Anyways I wouldnt risk it for the power gains your gonna achieve,if any.
Like I said before rest KAM, and beat the sh#t out of it for an OBD cycle.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, okay...now I understand what you're saying.
See, I don't work in the tune-up department so I'm not very familiar with the operations of WDS.
When you goto retrieve code from AS BUILT DATA, does it provide every single calibration that was released by Ford?...or only codes that were shipped from the factory in new vehicles?
The reason I ask is because the code I'm searching for is YWX0, but after going thru the list of codes that came from the factory on new ZX2's, I was unable to locate it in the list. From what I understand, the YWX0 code was released to fix an emissions recall or something of that nature.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Sorry, no it doesn't.Only Original pcm data matching the tear tag.I asked my piers to see if there is any way to achive what you want to do with WDS.They dont know of any way to do this.(And the are all asking why)If this is so important to you,why dont you invest in an AFC and you will be able to control your fuel trims?
I'm sorry,I dont know anything about your car.Is it stock,minor upgrades(intake,exhaust,MAF or Throttle body),or are you HUFFIN(turbo or supercharged)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's the story...
A buddy of mine was running a stock calibration on his car (MTA4 I think) and one day he took his car in to be serviced at which time the dealership reprogrammed his PCM with a newer calibration (YWX0 code) as per an emissions recall on the car. Without any other bolt-on modifications, the car gained a few horsepower with the new PCM code. Apparently he dyno-test his car before and after the calibration upgrade and noticed a significant improvement. After that, a bunch of ZX2 owners went to get the new code put into their pcm's and everyone noticed a huge improvement in the performance of the car. This is why I'm trying to track down the YWX0 code. My car is still running the original stock calibration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts