FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the subject sounds rather juvenile but it's making me crazy!

In March I got a Dual XHD7720 HU from Crutchfield.
I got my dad, the electrical engineer, to help me with the harness and the install.
Everything was great, the HD radio, the CD player, the ipod connection.
It all worked perfectly!

Then I FINALY got a sub.
My dad helped me with that as well.
It all worked perfectly.

UNTIL A WEEK AGO!
The f'n HU went CRAZY!

Example: the eject button for the CD player now changes the RADIO from FM to AM.
Crazy, yes?
Better yet, now the motorized faceplate is stuck doing a little dance halfway between the open and closed positions.YAY!

I've contacted the manufacturer and they said to send it to them.
But FIRST, I have to jump through hoops to get the warranty activated.

Any suggestions as to wha I should do? Aside from what I'm doing now?

· Registered
46 Posts
I have never been a big fan of Dual™ brand electronics because of this. I would have to say, the addition of the sub is pure coincidence. There is a slim chance that you may have a faulty/ dirty connection if the unit has a detachable face in which you use frequently.

It certainly sounds like an electrical glitch in the HU tho.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the ideas, but I'm going to stick with the warranty deal for now. If I can get a new HU for free then I'm going for it. If it turns out to be a load of bull I'll go for quality.

Thanks

· Registered
46 Posts
free and warranty are always good!!!

Could have seriously been a defect. Dual might not be MY first choice, but i will never bash someones equipment man. If it works for you, go with it!!!

Keep us posted on how the warranty goes!

· Registered
46 Posts
+1

My Pioneer is an older unit, a DEH - P6600, but is loaded with features. 3 sets of pre-outs, almost infinite tuning for sub, and sound dynamics,and many other nice features.

If you are running only deck power to speakers, a modest unit will do fine. If you are running any amplified power to your mids and high tho, search out one with more than just sub and front pre-outs...

· BYO Plastic cutlery
9,711 Posts
This is a serious car audio section, no Dual owners allowed.

Seriously, you buy that thing and then complain to audio enthusiasts/experts abut its problems? Give your head a shake. Then leave.

· BYO Plastic cutlery
9,711 Posts
well if you're asking, Clarion or Alpine.
People like Pioneer, JVC and Kenwood, and have good luck with them, I've owned all of those with only minor problems, but to the expert they are known to be middle end at best. They all have plastic transports and cheaper amps.
Sny's even worse. Jensen is now only a brand owned by Sparkomatic and is another Walmart brand.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To Brad: Calm down, if you yell much more you might hurt yourself

To the rest of the forum: I finally got the warranty situation sorted out.
After the Dual retards sent me to Crutchfield, who sent me back to Dual, I got the info to send Dual my radio.
The biggest issue I have with all this is Dual recalled my specific hu for the same problem that I got. Unfortunately no one told me about it.
So the dumba$$es at Dual said they were giving me the 7716 instead of a refurb 7720.
Hopefully this one works better.

· Registered
6 Posts
I have a pioneer DEH-P6100BT w/ bluetooth built in. It is a great HU. I can pair it with my IPOD touch and play music wirelessly plus my cell to be able to talk hands free....totally kicks! Best Buy retails it for 300 coins, but I got it for 200 on amazon. I got one for my 99 F-150 too. Just sayin.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.