FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car does this from time to time. The airbag light would flash 3 times, pause, then flash five times, with a longer pause. This then repeats. The time.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I believe what is called the clock spring has gone bad. It sits behind the airbag in the streering wheel. But to be sure your going to have to take it somewhere, and have the codes pulled.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
My wifes '97 does this. It is because hers was in an accident before we bought it and come to find out th dude who "fixed" the car didn't replace either of the air bags.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The Airbag Code 35 means Passenger Side Airbag Resistance Low or Shorted. Probably a bad Bag Actauator. I believe there is a Service Campaign out on these. Bring it to your dealer and tell them what is going on.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I get a 24 code flashing all the time. Of course, I'm running the GTX ECU, without the connection to the airbag circuit that the 95LX ECU had...

out of curiosity, what's the 24 code?

--sarge

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hopefully this will help everyone

12 Low Battery Voltage
13 Air Bag Circuit - Shorted to Ground
14 Primary Crash Sensor - Shorted to Ground
21 Safing Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
22 Safing Sensor Output Circuit - Shorted to Battery Voltage
23 Safing Sensor Input Feed/Return Circuit - Open
24 Safing Sensor Output Feed/Return Circuit - Open
32 Driver-Side Air Bag Circuit - High Resistance or Open
33 Passenger-Side Air Bag Circuit - High Resistance or Open
34 Driver-Side Air Bag Circuit - Low Resistance or Shorted
35 Passenger-Side Air Bag Circuit - Low Resistance or Shorted
41 Primary Crash Sensor #1 Feed/Return Circuit - Open
42 Primary Crash Sensor #2 Feed/Return Circuit - Open
44 Primary Crash Sensor #1 - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
45 Primary Crash Sensor #2 - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
51 Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse - Open Due to Intermittent Short to Ground
52 Backup Power Supply - Voltage Boost Fault
53 Primary Crash Sensor Circuits - Resistance to Ground, or Internal Diagnostic Monitor Fault

*Rapid Continuous Flashing of AIR BAG Readiness Lamp - All Primary Crash Sensors Disconnected

Primary Crash sensors are attatched to the Radiator Core Support
Safing Sensor is under the dashboard near the steering column.

Note: All Airbag Connectors are molded in a Yellow or Red Plastic.

Operation of Airbag System

Airbag Will Only deploy if BOTH a primary Crash Sensor and the Safing sensor detect an impact unless the primary crash sensor is crushed, in which case it will automatically deploy.

(wanna piss someone off, Hit one of their primarys with a sledgehammer and run like hell)

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
I don't think you need to crush anything with a sledge hammer, if someone even just hit my car with the sledge hammer and attempted to run, I'd be pissed!!! Hell, just 2 weeks ago, some guy in an S10 backed into my car, didn't do any damage to mine, but dented his new truck (or at most 2 years old), and I was still pissed, but I didn't cause any problems - just feel that if the sun is causing him that many problems that he shouldn't be driving during the day! CUT UP HIS DAMN LICENSE!!!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
cool, thanks for the codes!!!

24 Safing Sensor Output Feed/Return Circuit - Open

this seems to be right, since I assume that particular circuit goes to the ECU at some point. hehe.

--sarge

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.