FEOA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be moving to Milwaukee this fall. This will be the first time I've lived somewhere with a real winter and I don't know much about engine heaters. I currently have the engine out of my '91 GT as it got an overhaul and a GTX turbo put on. I was thinking it would be a good idea to put on some sort of engine heater on while the motor is out. Anyone install one or have any advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I installed one this weekend. Pretty straight forward. I got one from Mazda for $15, part # 0000-88-1728. I'll post up pics later.

Basically you knock out one of the freeze plug by hitting it with a screw driver near the out side edge. The heater goes in where the freeze plug was.

The only problem I'm having is I'm putting a GTX turbo on my car and the heater only fits in a freeze plug near the turbo. There's like a 1/4" between the electric cord for the heater and the flange where the turbo and the exhaust manifold meet. I hoping with some heat shielding it will be OK.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i thought my head gasket on my 1.8L was blown cus i was getting wafts of coolant into the cab so i just ran water, it wasn't until i pulled the engine did we notice that the block heater plug was just hanging in the block and thats where all the coolant was leaking out onto the exhaust flexpipe. When I pulled out the block heater the nut and washer that has come loose fell into the block! should they just be in the oil pan or do i need to fish them out from where they fell in? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll need to get them out of the block with a magnet. The block heater goes into the water jacket that surround the cylinders. It's not connected to the oil passages.

I dropped the original freeze plug down in there when I knocked it out and I got it with a magnetic pick up tool.

·
Registered
149 Posts
ya screw it, can't fish em out! that nut and washer are just gona have to chill where they are. Bashed in a 35mm Frost Plug put back the starter and the intake mani ... ready for dropping it in ~!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts