FEOA Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a refurbished Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop. It has the 1.4 Ghz Pentium M processor, 512Mb ram, and 64mb nvidia geforce go graphics card. It also has the normal laptop stuff; cd burner, wireless card, ect...

I was wondering if I should return this computer and opt for the Inspiron 5150 instead. There are a few reasons why I think I should do this. First, it has the pentium 4 3.06GHz processor. Yes I know the Pentium M is comparable to the Pentium 4, but I don't think having the 1.4 processor is making up for the gap; if I had the 1.7 processor I would probably be alright. Second, I'm not sure I really care for the wide screen. It's nice in a few ways, but it makes certain games seem awkward and text on web pages tends to be blurry. Not only that, its a monster to haul around; although that isn't my biggest concern. Another reason why I was thinking about the 5150 is that I may be able to get a dvd burner with it. Basically I want to know your thoughts on this subject. What would be the better machine in this case? I don't want you to start suggesting other brands or better equipment because Dell only allotted me 1500 bucks and no one else would finance. Believe me if I HAD the money I would know exactly what I want. Thanks in advace. - 2EGTS

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I should of stated what my intentions were with it. I DO plan on doing some gaming on it simply because as of now it out performs my desktop. You might ask why I just don't get another desktop. Well its because this one isn't paid off yet. I really do need a laptop anyway for the simple reason that its mobile. (I am a college student). As I said before I don't really care about the weight, it weighs less than some college books if you know what I mean. The screen is running in its native resolution for those who were asking. Basically what it boils down is a choice between the Pentium 4 3.06Ghz processor and the Pentium M 1.4Ghz processor. Battery life is not all that important as I do not need to run it all the time. If it did become an issue I would simply get another battery. I haven't really been able to find a comparison between these EXACT two processors so I don't really know which would work the best for me. Either way I'll be sticking with the NVidia graphics card. Again your thoughts are apreciated. Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.