FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a refurbished Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop. It has the 1.4 Ghz Pentium M processor, 512Mb ram, and 64mb nvidia geforce go graphics card. It also has the normal laptop stuff; cd burner, wireless card, ect...

I was wondering if I should return this computer and opt for the Inspiron 5150 instead. There are a few reasons why I think I should do this. First, it has the pentium 4 3.06GHz processor. Yes I know the Pentium M is comparable to the Pentium 4, but I don't think having the 1.4 processor is making up for the gap; if I had the 1.7 processor I would probably be alright. Second, I'm not sure I really care for the wide screen. It's nice in a few ways, but it makes certain games seem awkward and text on web pages tends to be blurry. Not only that, its a monster to haul around; although that isn't my biggest concern. Another reason why I was thinking about the 5150 is that I may be able to get a dvd burner with it. Basically I want to know your thoughts on this subject. What would be the better machine in this case? I don't want you to start suggesting other brands or better equipment because Dell only allotted me 1500 bucks and no one else would finance. Believe me if I HAD the money I would know exactly what I want. Thanks in advace. - 2EGTS

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
It would depend on what you plan on using your laptop for. Are you actually going to need the extra processing? Using it for gaming or business or school?

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Well the "M" (centrino) processor will get much better battery life according to what I have read, and although the clock speed is a lot slower it is still pretty close in performance to a normal p4. As for the screen, are you running it at it's native resolution? If not then that could effect the image quality a bit. I know laptop screens are picky about that. Last but not least, if this is just for gaming, you shouldn't have gotten a laptop :wink:.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The Pentium M is not the Centrino processor. Though they are optimized for laptops for longer battery life and whatnot, the Centrino's are 10x better. As for your question about which laptop. It all comes down to what you want to do with it, like the others have said. Dell doesn't make laptops that are very good for gaming, even with their 'top of the line' mobile video cards, you'd be better off getting one from a company that makes them for gaming. From what it sounds like though, you don't really want it for gaming, so for my vote, I vote the 5150 :)

·
Registered
911 Posts
well it all depends... bigger processor doesnt mean faster and better....

The pentium M's arent just for the battery life. THey take the processor and lower the clock speed when it is not needed whether it is plugged in or not. Now this might not seem like a good idea, but when you need more clock speed, it increases it for you.....Second thing....Just because clock speed is slower doesnt mean that it runs slower. For example...The celeron processors have high clock speeds, but they are cheaper for one reason. It cant process as much as the pentium. Pentium M's are designed to process more information quicker thereby reducing the amount of time that the processor works. Combine that w/ the speedstep technology and you have a pretty good processor. I have a gateway p III 1.06 M processor and i out perform my friends P 4 2.0 ghz computer w/ bench test software.

Also, the nvidia chipset. DEFINATELY a pick. Integrated cheap brand vid processors really suck. Also, any ATI chipset, its not trustable. ATI has always had large compatibility problems w/ lots of games and programs. A few years ago, Adobe wouldnt support ATI at all. Nvidia is definately the way to go w/ Open GL. They bought out 3dfx who were the "glide" kings. THey took the Direct3d format and combined it w/ the technology that 3dfx had and made a great video decompressor. Thats why lots of companies like Aopen, exct purchase the Nvidia Geforce chips. Because they are great.

Next thing you need to look at. That 2nd laptop you want is a smaller model number. Also, the specs on it "Seem" like it offers more...So why is it still in the same price range? Well, you need to know that when companies design the mother boards and all the daughter boards, they design them to "work" So that mother board on the 5150 is gonna be less quality than that of the 8***. Cheaper components are used and they take less time in fine tuning the voltage levels and paths that they use.

Final remark. Its a bitch to haul around??? LIke i said, i have a Gateway solo 9550. In 2001 that was gateway's top of the line model.
It has the Nvidia 32 meg geforce2.
512 ram
1.06 P III Mobile
hot swappable cd rom drive and floppy drive (means i can pull my drives out and put other things in their place)
and a 15.7 Xga display.
WHy did i list all of this??? To tell you it weighs 9 pounds w/ out the battery. Trust me, as long as you have a laptop case you wont get tired of lugging it unless you are weak. Even then you can use the shoulder strap.

Right now i'm finishing up my bachelors in electronic engineering and also a bachelors in computer programming. Take my advice and keep the one you have now.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I should of stated what my intentions were with it. I DO plan on doing some gaming on it simply because as of now it out performs my desktop. You might ask why I just don't get another desktop. Well its because this one isn't paid off yet. I really do need a laptop anyway for the simple reason that its mobile. (I am a college student). As I said before I don't really care about the weight, it weighs less than some college books if you know what I mean. The screen is running in its native resolution for those who were asking. Basically what it boils down is a choice between the Pentium 4 3.06Ghz processor and the Pentium M 1.4Ghz processor. Battery life is not all that important as I do not need to run it all the time. If it did become an issue I would simply get another battery. I haven't really been able to find a comparison between these EXACT two processors so I don't really know which would work the best for me. Either way I'll be sticking with the NVidia graphics card. Again your thoughts are apreciated. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts