FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having the same ignition problems that i keep reading about here. rpm would momentarily hit zero then come back up and keep doing this until eventually the car would die.

Turns out it was my magnetic pick up inside the dist.

I replace the tps, iacv, tfi, before i tried this and none fixed the problem so i just thought you would all like to know what might fix your problems.

i knew the rest of the stuff on the car was new because the guy i bought it from took it to the dealer to have alot of work done. so the water pump, timing belt, dist cap, dist rotor, spark plugs, wires, pcv, fuel filter, oil, battery only had 250 miles on it. alot of the other sensors were newer like the vaf and barometric pressure sensor.

If would have cost me more than the car was worth to replace all of these at once but it turns out my car was the perfect candidate for this unwanted test since i knew all the major stuff was new.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
That pickup is called the PIP sensor, or Profile Ignition Pickup...it's part of the hall effect system. They go bad from time to time, as it's usually a heat issue. Word to wise also: just because it's new doesn't mean it's in good working order. I bought a remade distributor that had the TFI fail in a week (brand new piece), followed by the shaft bushing about 3 weeks later. I've had two new throttle position sensors go bad within a year, and an O2 sensor bad from the beginning.

Don't even start me on alternators....I've had more of those bad than anything. It's usually voltage regulators. Anyway, I'm ranting.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Now that you mention that...how exactly did the original pickup fail? I hope it wasn't physically damaged, because if so then the real problem is shot distributor shaft bearings, in which case the whole distributor has to be replaced. The shaft starts wobbling and the stator crashes into the pickup, shredding the magnet.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
That's easily checked for by looking at the wear pattern on the rotor button...if it's egg shaped, you'll need new bushings, or distro. Bushings themselves are not hard to press into the thing, but finding them for personal use is.

Also, I prefer the early distros that use a bolt on rotor. There is much more even wear, and better spark it seems from those. Maybe they're balanced better or something.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the origional pick up failed by what looked like an internal short. There was some blackening around where the wires went into the connection block for the tfi modual ( the oppisite end of where the tfi connects on the block).

My pattern was good, but when i removed the shaft a few burnt melted orange black pieces fell out. I really hope i dont need to buy a new dist because of this. It looks like they were attached to the bottom of the busing or it could have just been some really bizare build up of gunk that solidified over time. I have to check the car for oil leaks now that that happened but but the oil light hasent come on yet so i assume its ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts