FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, i don't know what this is, so i need some help here...

every now and then, i get a sort of "shaking/shuddering" or "hiccup" kinda feeling while going between 45 & 65mph. i can feel it sometimes during accelleration, and can feel it worse during decelleration while my foot is still on the gas (ie. going from 70 down to 50mph i can feel a shudder).

at first, i thought it was a fuel-related thing. so i put in some carb cleaner. so far, no fix.

then, i thought it might be tranny related. so i got my tranny fluid n' filter flushed and such. so far, no fix.

to describe the symptom more: it's kind of like the feeling you get when your foot is on the accellerator (steadily and not hammering it to the floor), and you feel a brief loss of power to the wheels. like a "hiccup" or when you're about to run out of gas, or hydroplane for a second.

any takers as to what the hell is wrong with my car??

oh yeah, i mentioned this to james(92scort) when i met him a week & a half ago.

thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
My guess is CV joint. I have been having a very similar issue. Read my post:

http://www.feoa.net/modules.php?name=Fo ... pic&t=5980

I am going to replace my halfshaft this weekend. I will post if I get rid of the shuddering. Who knows, I could actually have 2 problems -- the shuddering being something else. Let me verify that fixing the CV does the trick before you tear yours apart.

In the meantime, I suggest inspecting your CV joints with your fingers for grease leaks. It might be really quite subtle if a leak is there and sometimes you have to rub hard with your finger. If you finger kinda gets stuck to the surface a bit and doesn't slip off readily, you probably found grease. Check you finger now for a pach of dark goo that flakes off in little balls when you rub your fingers together (almost like eraser boogers :D).

Don't forget to turn the axle when inspecting (put in neutral). On a CV joint, only half of the folds can be probed at a time. You have to rotate the hub and check the folds that were inaccessable before. This simple action is what fooled me on a quick inspection.

Here is a useful site on CV joint diagnosis and repair. Anything sound familiar?

http://hostingprod.com/@aa1car.com/library/cvjoint2.htm

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after reading the site link you sent..

a few of those symptoms are similar to what im suffering from.

i was experiencing a popping/clicking noise when making turns. but when i took my car to the shop, they fixed that by putting some grease on the tie rods. so, it was the tie rods. i'll try that reverse thing sometime soon though, but doubt it will make the noise.

but by reading some of the other symptoms, like feeling a shudder during accelleration makes me believe it might be the engine mounts. if that's the case, can't i get some aftermarket ones somewhere?? because that was one of the things i wanted to add to my car..

and sometimes i do get a "clunk" when throwing the car into drive, but usually when she's been sitting parked for a long time. but it doesn't do it when in drving in reverse. so i dont think it's the inner joint.

im going to take her back to the shop again early next week and see what they can do. with this knowledge, maybe we can narrow some of these things down a bit more.

but i have noticed that it seems to be getting increasingly worse.
before, i had to be on a smooth road to feel it. but tonight i could feel it whenever.
something tells me that it will be in my best interests to stay within the city limits until this is resolved.. :( :?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine got worse over time as well. Interestingly enough, I replaced the passenger side halfshaft, and it fixed some of the problem. I was in the process of changing the driver's side halfshaft when I damaged the differential seal. I have to find a replacement for that. Since removing the halfshaft from the driver's side results in some transmission fluid leaking out, I decided to drain the whole thing and check the condition of the fluid. An interesting test I learned from a friend of mine is that the transmission gears are supposedly made of a non-magnetic alloy, however, the differential gears ARE made of a magnetic alloy. If you take a strong magnet and run it through your transmission fluid, you should get a good picture of the state of your differential by the amound of garbage you pull out of the fluid. A little bit is fine, a lot -- well, you might need a differential rebuild.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i asked my buddie's dad about it. and he mentioned the halfshaft being replaced.

but i hope i dont lose much tranny fluid; i just had it changed out! :?

but i have an appt. w/ the mechanics for tues, and hopefully they can say what the problem is for sure.. i plan on taking one of the mechanics out for a drive. that way, there can be no more room for assumptions..

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay, just got back from the mechanics.

the guy i rode with is pretty cool. he's got a '94 LX, which is modded.
he has the pacesetter header (he has no complaints there), cold air intake, high flow exhaust, it's lowered and has performance tires. he's running mid-hi 17's. it has a few other mods but i can't remember. oh yeah, it's a stick w/ a few of the tranny mods - lightweight flywheel and such.

i also learned a neat trick. since the intake remains pretty much in the engine compartment - when doing races, you can take out the driverside headlight and race that way. sorta "ram-air"-ish..

anyway, he even drove my car to make sure what was wrong.
they said that even if my car's making the shuddering thing even on decelleration, it's probably tranny-related. it feels as if the car's having a hard time deciding on whether or not to stay in 3rd or 4th.

also, if it was the CV joint (which it's not apparently) there would be a "clicking" and it would be constant whenever i was in motion.

soooooooo, im making an appt. now with a tranny shop.

dear god how i hope whatever issue this is, remains in the low triple digits!!

*sighs*

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine turned out to be a bent Axle. Put your car on blocks and run the front wheels. Watch the axle as it turns to verify that it is straight. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i hope that's what i have. but i'll have to wait and see... *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
OK, you got an automatic too, so I can be of some use :wink:

First, how's your fuel pressure?

Second, any vac leaks you know of?

Third, have you ever changed your TPS?

Matt 8)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i would assume that my fuel pressure is just fine. but i have no real way of determining that, just the fact that it never stalls.

i had a vaccum leak a year or two ago. that resulted in my car stalling in low rpms. got it fixed.

TPS? what be that??

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor

Doesn't do much on manual cars other than determine throttle angle, but on automatics it also has influence on the shift points and torque converter lockup. This is really common for "jumpy" automatics at cruising speeds. ie, doesn't seem to want to stay in gear at certain RPM's, or while cruising along the RPM shoots up.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the rpms don't shoot up while cruising, but like i said, it does feel kinda like it doesn't know which gear to stay in..

but i'll definitely have these checked out..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine too!

I just had an engine swapp done on a 95 LX. I had the 1.9 put back in as well. It starts great and runs fine until I put it in gear. It then idles really jerky and while acclerating between 40 and 50 mph, it jerks hard. When I shift into neutral, it stops. My first impression was a fuel problem but the car seems to have plenty of power it just jerks alot. I'm thinking after reading this that I have a tranny problem as well. Yes, mine does it while decellerating too but its not as bad as accelerating.

The mechanic had to use the existing tranny because the one inthe car the donor engine came from was destroyed in a wreck.

Anybody else think its tranny related?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Manual or automatic? If it's automatic it's definitely a tranny problem... I've never really heard of a manual doing that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, its an automatic. I'm really more of a five-speed kind of guy but it was a free car minus running down the engine and getting it swapped. So, what kind of damage are we talking? I have checked my fluid levels and they're fine.

It seems its more pronounced when I'm acclerating or going uphill. It has a defenit lag at other times but not so dramatic as when its going from 40 to 50 mph. Oh and it doesn't seem so bad when I kick it into passing gear.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Don't know much about auto trannies... But usually anything related to 'em turns out to be a huge pain in the ass. I really don't know, though.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
coyote-x said:
Don't know much about auto trannies... But usually anything related to 'em turns out to be a huge pain in the ass. I really don't know, though.
that's it, dammit! i'm getting a stick!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
but that makes me wonder... what the hell am i gonna need to perform a auto to manual tranny swap?? meaning, what parts do i need to yank and what can be "enhanced/aftermarket-ed" (flywheel, shortshifter, etc...)?? just curious.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The new set pf plug wires I installed this weekend took care of my problem. The car jerked evendently because one would foul out at a certain RPM. I'm glad it wasn't a tranny problem.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you lucky bastard!
things for me are getting worse.. it now does the jerky nonsense at low rpms in 1st gear even! i don't even want to drive far from home it's bothering me that much. but hey, at least im not driving it as much.. less miles.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts