FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
15,191 Posts
I've noticed this phenomenon as well. It used to be that the alternator was in the easiest to get to spot, and now the A/C compressor is. I'm not sure why, as alternators seem to be a wearing part and/or go bad at a fairly high rate where as I've never replaced an A/C compressor.

I even complained to a few manufacturers about this, telling them to swap the two.

· Registered
15,191 Posts
KingPudah1979 said:
Yeah, the newer the car, the harder it's been to change it's alternator. The simple fact is, though, that I've eventually had to change the alternator in every single car I've ever owned.
On my 1984 EGT I changed it 7 times!

That's what happens when your not picky about where you buy your parts! The NAPA alternator worked best, as I was idleing at 14 Volts, however the one that lasted the longest was from a junkyard and already had 90,000 miles on it. Some of the Pep Boys / Trak Auto / Advance Auto / Auto Zone alternators lasted anywhere from 30 seconds to a month.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.