FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put a new alternator on my 94 gt and it has since ripped off 5 brand new belts. I don't know if the new one could be faulty and seizing on me or what. I'll be driving along just fine and then all of a sudden my battery light comes on and i lose eveything in like 5 minutes. Tonight it did the same thing so i got out and looked at it while the battery light was on, the belt was still there and when i shut the car off and checked the belt it was tight and so was the tensioner. I had a friend boost me and the light went out and the car worked fine for about an hour and then the same thing again, i took the negative battery cable off to see if it was charging and it didn't die so i assume it was. any help would be appreciated before it accidently gets lit on fire.
thanx
Barry

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well just make sure you arent tightening the belt too much when you put it on, because when i put new belts on y car i tightened the alternator/water pump belt too much and it broke my belt after about a month.

·
Registered
15,521 Posts
Exactly where are you purchising theses alleged new alternators?

Perhaps Pep Boys or Autozone?

Try getting one from a reputable source, like NAPA or the junkyard.

Having said all of this, are you sure that the pulley is the correct one and that there is no alignment problem with the belt.

And I also wonder where you are getting your new belts from. The dealer sells them for reasonable prices (for the Ford engine anyway, I am not sure how much Mazda would ask for one).

·
Registered
15,521 Posts
Re: alternator problem or water pump bearing siezing when ho

black94gt said:
i took the negative battery cable off to see if it was charging and it didn't die so i assume it was.
Do NOT do this again! If you want to see if your car is charging use a voltmeter!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thaks for all the suggestions guys. It turns out that it is the bearing in the water pump so that sucks. I can get a new pump for $120cdn and then i'll need a new timing belt and all that good stuff. I think i might take my head off and see what i can get done and maybe put new valves and springs in it. I don't want to push it though, it's a 94' with 305,000kms

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.