FEOA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I jumped started the car and it acts like it wants to die. I drive it for a block and the moment I put it in neutral to come to a stop it dies. What gives, I thought I should be able to ride around on a dead battery or even no battery as long as my alternator works. Is the alternator going out or gone? Is the battery the problem? The belt is still on there, so at least I know it's not that.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
try a multi meter on the alt while the car is running or even the battery while the car is running
a good alternator should push anywheres from 13.5-14.5V any less its probably on the way out or its already out the door

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
is the battery gauge on the dash lit when it's running? if so the alternator is bad.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's trying to be lit, but I guess there's not enough power left in the drained battery because it flickers as the engine tries not to die.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
If you had to jump start the car that's an indication there's something wrong with the charging system. It might be the alternator is going bad, if I were you I'd pull the brushes out of the alternator and see if they are worn out. A set of brushes will only cost you about $5-$10 and take 10 minutes to fix if that's the problem instead of $150-$200 for a new alternator. My '88 still has the original alternator on it, all I have done is replaced the brushes in it one time in 492K miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts