FEOA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am, yet again, experiencing electrical problems, and I am convinced that I have lost my alternator. I am choosing to replace both the battery and the alternator at the same time, just because the battery is about due anyway.

My problem is that my socket on the tensioner pulley is broken. Last time I replaced the alternator, I broke away half the metal sorrounding the socket hole, therefore, I connect stick the 1/2", or whatever size socket wrench in that joint to pull back the tensioner, if that makes sense.

Any other advise on how to pull back the tensioner pulley? I was thinking I could have a friend take an old belt (like pants belt, not engine belt) and wrap it around what is left of the joint, and carefully but firmly pull it back for me while I place the alternator belt back on. I am worried that if this breaks free, he will smash his hands on something, and hurt himself pretty good by smashing his hands on this hood.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

BAsically, my car died after being parked at a Rona, I got boosted, it died again 5 blocks later while in travel, I got boosted again and made it home (another 20 blocks). I piggy backed my battery of my Sebring for twenty minutes, took it off the Sebring and tried to let it run for another twenty minutes on its own. It died after five minutes. I tried piggy backing it again, and again, it seems to run for a bit, but the moment I turned on my lights, it died again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You could always use a ratchet strap to hold the Tensioner so you don’t have to worry about your friends hand. Then i would just replace the Tensioner while you are at it probably be like $30.

If you can’t get it to pull back you could just cut or pull the belt off and replace it all the belt(if belt is damaged) and Tensioner personally. It would end up costing you more but probably be faster in the long run.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it still be feasible to get the new one back on with considerable ease?

I do not want to bother replacing the tensioner pulley because honestly, if the alternator, or anything really, breaks down on this car after this. I think I am done with her.

I try to enjoy these cars, but my experiences have been pretty bad.

I need a GT.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Stro said:
Would it still be feasible to get the new one back on with considerable ease?
If you can pull it back enough to get the belt off you should be able to get it back on just the same.

Replacing it would be just to solve the problem for a later time. If its still functional and keeping tension then reuse it if you dont mind busting knuckles possible next time too :D

Blah fixed my post stupid Quote

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
If you have a torqs bit you can remove the brushes while it's still in the car. Some times alternator failer is just the brushes hanging up or too far worn down. Should beable to find a new bruch kit for under $10 at the local parts store.

Pick up a new tensioner pulley while your there too, it's just one 15mm bolt to remove it. Also should be a stock part.

Is your battery dash light on?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might try that, thanks Jeff, and no my battery light is not on...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts