FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i told you guys last moth the timing belt went on the scort and we couldn't get the damn thing started after it was fixed. Well yesterday we did a compresion test and found that 2 of the pistons are bad. Now we have 2 options new motor or replace the pistons. I am tying to force him to just get a new engine. But he wants to know what it would cost to replace the pistons. Now keep in mind I have no idea what condition the cams or the crank are in, if they were damged or if any of the valves are f*cked either and what the rods look like also. We didn't pull it apart yet and get dirty with it yet. So who knows where I can find a 1.8DOHC engine for a 91 Gt or even get new pistons and what they might cost. So any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you are looking to rebuild the engine, I can sell you my old one.

'92 GT 1.8 with 175019.9 when I removed it. At that time, it was burning oil pretty fierce (appx 1 qt per week, IF I checked it!). I don't know if it was a ring or valve seal problem. But, if you're looking to rebuild it's a prime candidate.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i know corksport has a performance cam, but try a local junkyard... im sure you can find some 1.8's there..... or even some other engines just to practice on.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey thanks for the info guys and b pletch I iwll keep that in mind if this one is pretty f*cked. But really we are trying o find one that e can just stick in and it will work, keep dreaming right!! Junkyards around here don't have that engine alot of the time. I don't know why but it's hard to find somtimes. But thanks for the heads up. Hey and by the way pbletch I finally saw your car around here last month. The apartment building in front of wherre you park, the one on spring street. I replaced the railings and did some work the on a ladys porch there and saw your car parked there.

·
Registered
296 Posts
So you finally saw it too?!?!?!? I ran into Willum last week up at Manderbach. He seemed to like it. Did you walk over to check it out? The paint looks MUCH better at night (and in pictures ;-)

I'll be trashing that engine in the next week or so. So, if you want to rebuild let me know.

As far as my current engine, I got it up at Harry's in Hazleton for $85 and did about $2G in rebuilding/upgrades during the swap. A few months ago I saw a '91 GT at E-Z in New Ringold (same color car as mine too!), maybe it's still there???

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah your car is sweet looking. I only saw it in the morning though. You would be gone when I would come back around. Anywho EZ pull huh?? The only problem with them is that it might not work and they don't gaurentee them. But i iwll check it out thanks for that advice. 2 grand what the heck did you do to it???

·
Registered
296 Posts
2g doesn't get you very far with a 1.8 Mazda engine...the rebuild kit alone was $500!

pistons, cams, UDP, LW flywheel, ported/polished...you know, the usual.

you should stop be to see it sometime

·
Registered
899 Posts
what makes you think that the pistons are bad? it could be just the valves unless you dropped one into the combustion chamber.if you bent a valve, than that is a piece of cake to fix.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Uhhhh... 2grand will buy you a whole darn gt, not just the engine. call you local boneyards and tell them what you need. They will get you one. Will probably cost you about 5-600 bucks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't mind checking out your scort somtime bpletch. I am weary of buying from a junkyard I got burned a few times on that stuff. But I am searching around the net for one, and yes I know it might just be the valves but we have had no time to tear it apart yet. So we are just expecting the worse and thats why I am looking, this weekend we might get to it. Yeah 180 horsies sounds nice for a scort. I would have bought a body kit for mine if I had the money, but than again I wasn't into racing it that much. My performance mods I had done to it were enough for me, just wanted to turbo it and than I would have been happy. But yeah I would love to see it up close somtime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts