FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/7...com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2414776455

They're selling an air intake supercharging system. You install it in your intake pipe. Gives you a good 245 cfm at full speed but when it's off it doesn't obstruct your intake path? How's it do that? Does the object go out of existence? Sorry, anything installed in the pipe is going to cause some amount of restriction. It's crap.

Don't be fooled. Your $100 is better spent elsewhere

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hi Tuning Pplz.
Yeah sounds like the tornado product engeneered to produce a "tornado" inside your air intake manifold ...does it actually work? Sounds like big crap to me hehehe :) Does anyone have seen this device on a Dyno or something that could show the facts ?
I'm really sceptical!

Ciao
Max :wink: :?:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
and skeptical you should be! from what i know about aerodynamics, something 2.5" in diameter (small wing / props or something) like the tornado product...thing...would not give any benefits to an intake. sure, if engineered correctly (and who knows if it is), the fins on this thing could theoretically speed up the air into the intake, but the amount of metal blocking up the amount of air going through in the first place would cancel that out esily, likely producing negative effects. as for the whole 'tornado' effect, and stirring up the air so it will detonate better in the cylinder, that sound like a huge amount of BS to me. making some vortex of air won't speed up the intake, it's already sucking in air faster than any electronic supercharger can push at the high revs *coughknocksonwoodcough...*, so what is a prop-shaped peice of metal in your intake gunna do?? granted, i don't know too much about the air mixture and having better detonations or not, but the air has already gone through a filter, so what else really needs to be mixed better? just my 2 shillings

·
Registered
709 Posts
just my opinion, someone took theory and ran it further up the intake system. i think they are trying to reduce the turbulence in the intake track thus increasing airflow. loads of BS if you ask me.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can see this thing working on an older engine, like maybe 1970's, possibly 80's. But here in the new century, we've all sorts of air intake devices built in from the factory. The big talk nowadays is all swirl-and-tumble. Look specifically at the Honduh VTEC-E which only opens 1 intake valve to promote a swirling effect in the combustion chamber, and that's primarily to increase gas mileage and low-end torque (which every Honduh needs). I would tend to think that a relatively new 4 cylinder engine wouldn't need such a device because of the factory designed air mangement.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yeah, there really is no call for a device like this. not on todays cars or yester-years cars. The only place that matters is the cylider head. That is were the the air is last affected before it goes into the cylinder. If the head is causing turbulance, then nothing you put before it will matter. If the head is causing the air to calm down and flow even and smooth, once again, nothing before it will matter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm making one myself to test it out and see if it works. I used an r/c plane prop with 3"duct that makes 267CFM according to specs. I'll post up on my site on the review of it since it will get lost in the shiffle pretty quick here. It should be interesting to see if I get any gains from it. If it's noticeable I may just go down to the dyno and see what it runs installed and not isntalled :) The idea is not the PSI which is what most people are looking at. Anyone that knows fluid dynamics and aerodynamics would know that there is no way that even the "E-Ram Supercharger" could make the 1 PSI claims that is says it can push and for that 300$ tag def not worth it. But so far in parts that I have my tab is up to 24$ lol so if I can gain like 3 horsepower for 24$ sure, I'll do it :) The idea is the velocity of the air coming in will create more horsepower not only b/c it's going in harder but because it's cooler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts