FEOA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I'm wondering how to take out the air intake silencer. Can somebody give me step by steps to do it?..

Thanks.

Chris

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
first u have to remove the airbox that ur filter is in. and then u can take out ur silencer and put the airbox back in place.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
juggalo said:
first u have to remove the airbox that ur filter is in. and then u can take out ur silencer and put the airbox back in place.
thanks..but i cant seem to find what a 2nd gen air silencer looks like..

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
the silencer is beneath ur airbox. u'll see what it looks like once u take the box out.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
juggalo said:
the silencer is beneath ur airbox. u'll see what it looks like once u take the box out.
alright thanks bud..i'll try it this wkd and let u know how it went.. :p ...

so excited hopefully i'll get a little more horsepower and some nice sound... 8)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chrisanthony14 said:
juggalo said:
alright thanks bud..i'll try it this wkd and let u know how it went.. :p ...

so excited hopefully i'll get a little more horsepower and some nice sound... 8)
I'm also going to clean my MAF senser..I bought the car 2years ago so i dont think it was ever cleaned before then..

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
my MAF sensor was always clean. my mom bought the car back in 93 and i was only 8 then. she just gave it to me a couple months ago. this was the car i got my license in back when i was 16. i'm 24 now so this car has been in the family for a good minute.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey guys.. i just took out my air filter box and what i see is a plastic case with come kinda of plastic tubing that connects to the air filter box..is that big thing the air silencer?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok guys..i just finished removing the air silencer..i removed both pieces of it..so all thats left is the air filter box in that location.

I drilled a couple holes in there and covered them with a mesh so nothing would get in...

It seems more peppy then before..if i drill even more holes would it be fine?

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
If there was any difference in the available power, wouldnt it have to be above 4500 rpm, & with the throttle wide open? Aside from having a nice audible intake hum, I doubt you would be able to feel any power increase, assuming there is one at all.

·
Registered
161 Posts
get an autozone cone air filter kit for 50 bucks. My car sound like a small tiger now...

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
If you cut away the air filter box, so theres just enough to hold the air filter, the intake noise will be louder. Using a metal intake tube instead of the rubber tube would also increase the noise - which is actually the acoustic pulse noise from inside the intake manifold. Thats why its louder with the throttle butterfly opened up.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
denisond3 said:
If you cut away the air filter box, so theres just enough to hold the air filter, the intake noise will be louder. Using a metal intake tube instead of the rubber tube would also increase the noise - which is actually the acoustic pulse noise from inside the intake manifold. Thats why its louder with the throttle butterfly opened up.
Thanks guys...i dont want to get a cone filter because i purchased a whole bunch of fram air filters, so i really dont want to waste them.. I'll try drilling some holes inside the air filter box..as denisond3 suggested..and try getting a metal tube...

are there any more suggestions?...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would cut away pretty much all of the bottom of the airbox, that gave me a pretty sweet sound.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
chrisanthony14 said:
Thanks guys...i dont want to get a cone filter because i purchased a whole bunch of fram air filters, so i really dont want to waste them.. I'll try drilling some holes inside the air filter box..as denisond3 suggested..and try getting a metal tube...

return the filters and get a cone filter. with this filter, ur getting more airflow and a bit more gas milage than u r getting right now. plus the cone filter is washable and reuseable so that's more money in ur pocket. so that's less time at the pump and no more filters to buy. :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
juggalo said:
chrisanthony14 said:

return the filters and get a cone filter. with this filter, ur getting more airflow and a bit more gas milage than u r getting right now. plus the cone filter is washable and reuseable so that's more money in ur pocket. so that's less time at the pump and no more filters to buy. :D
I would but its passed the return date..A cold air intake would be nice to have but i would hate to waste those filters.
I would probably get one in the future. I saw some air intakes on ebay, would u suggest thos or are there better out there?

·
Registered
244 Posts
just sell your air filters.
Why would you stock up on air filters anyway???

·
Registered
161 Posts
Autozone has a kit, with a little bit of fashioning, that you can get for less that 50 bucks. sell those air filters in Ebay or something as a mass quantity.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts