FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescently aquired a intake off of a mr2 that i was planning on installing but I have a few quick questions. One being will the intake and engine run properly without the maf or should i just use the existing maf. Two how do any of you using customs intake incorporate the red needle like thermotor style thing that sticks into the airbox after the maf. Or is it even needed and if so what is it any ways and what does it do. Any help would be appreciated - Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
what year car do you have? and what engine?

1. im pretty sure the car will not run at all without the maf/vaf on any year and engine.
2. im not really sure what red needle you are talking about :wink:

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
before you do this, you might want to consider something....

Most people who mod their intakes dont see any, or very small power gains. Some lose power. The 1.9 is very picky about intake tract size and length. I wouldn't be surprised if it was tuned and designed by ford. It seems to be as as its going to get, stock. Now, as far as the 1.8 goes, I dont know, I dont own one. Which engine do you have?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I own a 91 lx with the 1.9 but I also own a 94 lx and I heard they have a bigger maf to alow more air flow?

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
A larger bore MAF will trick your computer into thinking more air is getting to your engine because more volume passes the sensor. However, without actually changing the throttle body/intake, no more air is getting in. You'll get a bit more power maybe, but you'll run rich.

Of course you need your intake air charge temperature sensor for your engine to run efficiently and properly. You're asking for trouble by not re-installing it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So then if I am to install the maf and air temperature sensor back on to the car and connect them to my custom intake where do you guys with custom intakes fit the air sensor? where would be a good spot to relocate it on the aluminum conecting tubing coming off the throttle body ? ne ideas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts