FEOA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering how you would advance your timing on a 2gen GT?? I heard you could loosen the distributor and rotate that alittle???? How does that work? wasnt sure and seen it in a diffrent post.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
yep thats how you do it. just make sure you´ve got a timing light on hand so you remember the stock settings if you fuxor thing up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I advanced mine all the way in a clockwise direction (The distributor) and It runs perfect (helped quite a bit)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
be sure to run premium gas and listen for knock under load. If you start to knock pull the timing back.

yeah basically turn the dist and if you dont have a light listen for the idle to go higher.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Man, if ScortGT has his all the way advanced, that´s something like 18 degrees advanced. The Miata group recommends up to 14 , 16 max. Hope you´re running high-test! At18, a lean-accident could kill your valves.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, How many of you scorters have done this to your 2gen scort?? How much of a difference????. And so pretty much if im on the drivers side of the car looking at the dist. just loosen the 2 bolts and rotate it twords the firewall??

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%>[TR][TD]Quote:

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
12-02-2003 at 11:02, TheBlade wrote:
yeah basically turn the dist and if you dont have a light listen for the idle to go higher.
[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

So you´re saying that you should advance timing until you get a slightly higher idle? Could you explain this a little more?

Also...
I don´t have a light, but I plan on buying one soon. What kind of light should I get?
Also, I can´t seem to locate the crankshaft degree meter. It´s on the left side of the crankshaft, when looking down into the engine bay standing in front of the car? I don´t see any meters down there...

And isn´t advanced timing supposed to help low end torque, but HURT top end horsepower? Could somebody clear this up?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts